Military History/draft in Viet Nam War

Question
Marc,
I'm doing some research as I'm writing about our marriage and the birth of our two sons. They are all interwined with the Viet Name War.
We were Married July 30, 1965. A few month later, we learned that men who were married before ___________ were exempt from the draft. We had just made it. I guessed that the date was Aug. 5, 1965, but just a guess. Do you know the actual date.

Again our son was born June 13, 1967. At a certain point in time, men who were fathers were deferred. Do you have that date? I know it once again kept Ron from the draft.

Thanks so much,
Phyllis Dolislager
www.byphyllis.com

Answer
It looks like the marriage deferment during the Vietnam War era began in September of 1963 and ended in August of 1965.

Sorry, but I wasn't able to find anything about when the father deferment ended. You might want to contact the Selective Service System and ask them directly:

Public and Intergovernmental Affairs
Selective Service System
National Headquarters
Arlington, Virginia 22209-2425
FAX: 703-605-4106
E-mail: Information@sss.gov

Military History

Marc Leepson