Military History/17th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron

Lawrence Meyers wrote at 2013-03-22 05:33:11
Dear Friend,

This is quite a coincidence.  I am about to issue the second edition of my book, "Teacher of the Year: The Mystery and Legacy of Edwin Barlow".  Mr. Barlow was my high school math teacher and a member of Troop B of the 17th!  

The troop's history is not covered much at all in the history books and I had to do a lot of research to trace Mr. Barlow's journey.  If you're interested in what your grandfather's path was, you can grab a copy of the book at:

One thing you said doesn't quite make sense, however.  The 17th arrived in Northern France in July of 1944, before making their way across the path you have correctly indicated.  Tours only lasted two years, so your grandfather's date of entry was either later than January 1942, or he re-enlisted.

Another internet search under "Task Force A" and "Dash to Brest" will yield more details about his path.  I spoke with several member of Troop B in the late 1990's, and got a lot of detail about their lives which is presented in the book.

I ordered Mr. Barlow's records from the St. Louis office.  I got photocopies -- and the singed edges of the originals come through on the copies.  Looks like I got lucky!

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.