Military History/father's military history

Question
My father, Joseph Charles Lilak, served in WW II. He was born in East Jordan, Michigan. He was inducted at Fort Custer in Michigan. He served in Africa, Anzio and Germany.
I would love to find a detailed history of his military service, including citations/medals earned. He is deceased, and has a purple heart, bronze star as well as other theater badges and a sharpshooting badge. He attained Tech 5 I believe, and was honorably discharged.
Can you direct me to a site/resource that can provide information on his service?
It would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Don Lilak

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank You for your question.  In it you typed that your father "served in Africa, Anzio and Germany."  Not many units served in those three specific geographic regions, only one I could think of, the 3rd Infantry Division.  Retrieving MY copy of the unit history of the 3rd Infantry Division from over 4,000 books about WW 2 in MY own library, I began reading.  On page 493, in the section about the 15th Infantry Regiment, listed as "PFC Joseph C. Lilak".  So, now we know the unit your father was assigned to while overseas, 15th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division.  To learn the specific Campaigns your father participated in, please refer to Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.
       In your question you typed "I would love to find a detailed history of his military service". Simple enough, obtain a copy of the "History of the 3rd Infantry Division in World War II" by Donald G. Taggart & with a copy of your father's Discharge Documents at hand, begin to read.  You will have more answers than you ever dreamed of.
       In your question you typed "Can you direct me to a site/resource that can provide information on his service?"  "site" no, I do NOT recommend the internet.  "information" no, since you requested a "detailed history" I assume you desire FACTS.  The Discharge Documents are based in FACT, since your father signed them for accuracy.  The unit history of the 3rd Infantry Division is based in FACT, since editors checked the unit history for accuracy (the internet has no editors to check for accuracy).  Your best resource, as I typed, is your father's Discharge Documents & a copy of the unit history of the 3rd Infantry Division by Donald G. Taggart.  You may wish to check with Battery Press in Nashville, Tennessee for an EXCELLENT reprint of the unit history of the 3rd Infantry Division by Donald G. Taggart.
       If you care to share with me the dates typed on Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents, I may be able to share with you the names of troop ships.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell