Military History/Father's Military History

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
My Library on the 5307th Composite Unit(Provisional) WW2 is extensive. My question to you is nothing in my possession has "5307"on it,I understand that when the 5307th was disbanded that those left were merged with other units Mars Task Force, 475th infantry etc. There are no rosters for the original men. How would I find when my Father went into India? The Merrills Maurders Association say yes he was one of Them. But I can not find clarification as to if he was in a second wave of men or if he was an original.I am one of the thousands that is a victim of 1973 Fire trying to find answers.My Fathers name Frank E. Mulholland Army serial number 36511942 Thank you for your time.
         Mavis A. Roy

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank You for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good Manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "nothing in my possession has "5307" on it".  I'm sorry.  The first two books I reached for from my library of over 4,000 books about WW 2 both have 5307th Provisional Unit (Special) numerous times in the text.  Both books are from the A.G.S. (Army Green Series), Chronology & Time Runs Out in CBI.
       In your question you typed "How would I find when my Father went into India?"  Please refer to the first set of dates, horizontally, in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  The first date is when your father no longer stood on US Soil, the second date is when your father first set foot on foreign soil.  Gee, I wish all the questions sent to me were this easy.  LOL
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
The only form I have is a WD AGO form 100 there is no box #36. This is the only form I have been able to find, government or personal for my Father.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Sincerely,
Mavis A. Roy

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank You for your follow-up.  When your father was discharged from the US Army, he was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55, 1 November 1944).  Although all four pages would be the best to have, page two is the most important page for ACCURATE historic research.
       The odds are the last time your family utilized one copy of your father's Discharge Documents was when he passed away (sorry to be morbid).  Your family provided a copy of your father's Discharge Documents to the Funeral Home handling the arrangements.  That was so the Funeral Home could provide a photocopy to the VA, to help offset the cost of the Funeral & interment.  Please check with the Funeral Home that handled your father's arrangements.
       Veterans were encouraged to register a copy of their Discharge Documents at the Court House of the County that they resided in after WW 2.  IF your father did so, you may visit that Court House to obtain a photocopy of your father's Discharge Documents.  Discharge Documents are in the Public Domain, so anyone may obtain a photocopy of someone's Discharge Documents.  Please visit the Court House of the County your father resided in after WW 2.
       Once you have obtained a copy of your father's Discharge Documents, you are welcome to photocopy them, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  It would be my pleasure to glean the documents, then share with you any FACTS I obtain from them.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell