You are here:

Military History/Father's WW 2 Information


Wilshire, Charles
Wilshire, Charles  
Mr. Horrell

  I have been doing geneology research on my father,
Charles William Wilshire. I contacted the Archives in
St. Louis but his records had been destoyed in a fire.
They did have his discharge papers that indicated he
may have been in an accident that eventually resulted
in his discharge. My father passed away when I was eleven
so I did not get to talk to him about his service. I do
know that he was considered 100% disabled for pension purposes
at the time of his death(1960)which I assume resulted from the
accident injury and resurfaced latter in his life.

 I have attached an image of the document the Archives sent me
in reference to his last pay allocation. I am trying to get
information about his pension that may give me more info on his
service but I am having trouble getting through the VA maze.

 Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jack Wilshire
Lexington, KY

Dear Sir,
       Thank You for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "I contacted the Archives in.......eventually resulted in his discharge."  Your father's "records had been destroyed" but "the Archives" did somehow have your father's "discharge papers".  Somehow I see an inconsistency here.  Were your father's "discharge papers" on someone's desk in July 1973, so were NOT destroyed in the fire, but your father's personnel file was destroyed in the fire?  How did the "discharge papers" survive, but the rest of the personnel file did not?  Either it was destroyed or it exists.  It can't be both.  Sorry, I need to step off my soap box.
       I will ASSUME your father's personnel file does not exist, so why not obtain the unit records.  Start with:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
Carlisle Barracks   PA   17013-5050

My experience with dealing with Carlisle Barracks, the more specific you are with your request, the better the results.  Name of Veteran, Unit, time frame of interest, purpose of your interest.  From what I have read, you have all that.
       Since the 106th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion was a Kentucky National Guard Unit (Federalized at Covington, Kentucky, January 6, 1941) you may wish to contact the NG HQ, I assume in Frankfurt, KY.  The 106th departed the New York Port of Embarkation April 30, 1942, so am I correct in understanding your father was injured in Great Britain?
       I include my mailing address so that we may continue this via private e-mail.  Please send me a letter with your e-mail address enclosed so that I may contact you.

   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard V. Horrell


Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.


A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Awards and Honors
Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Past/Present Clients
Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.

©2017 All rights reserved.