Military History/Mariposa sailing from Oran, Algeria

Question
Dear Richard,

You may remember our question regarding Mariposa sailings in 1944.  We have been able to locate the dates of Gino's first days in the US for the French pilot training under the USAAF.  This makes me think that the Mariposa sailing departing Boston, MA, Aug. 6, 1944 and landed in Liverpool, England, August 14, would have had to be the crossing from Oran back to Boston.  Gino started his training in Selma, AL on Sept. 2, 1944.  He says that he went directly from Boston to Selma, and since it was on a troop train, it probably took two days/two nights, so the arrival in Boston must have been around Aug. 29-31.  Is there anyway that you can verify the dates?  Also, if you could find the departure date from Algeria...can you explain why some ships went in convoy and others sailed alone?  His sailing went directly without stopping from Mers-el-Kebir to Boston.  Thanks again for all your help.

Charlotte Narboni

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank You for your follow-up.  In it you typed "This makes me think that the Mariposa sailing departing Boston, MA Aug. 6, 1944 and landed in Liverpool, England, August 14, would have had to be the crossing from Oran back to Boston."  Please note the following four voyages of the SS Mariposa:

Departure Date:   August 6, 1944
Departure Location:   Boston Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Mariposa
Arrival Date:   August 13, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England
    5,335 Troops onboard

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   August 16, 1944
Departure Location:   Liverpool, England
Troop Ship:   SS Mariposa
Arrival Date:   August 23, 1944
Arrival Location:   Boston P of E
    15 Troops onboard

Departure Date:   August 30, 1944
Departure Location:   Boston P of E
Troop Ship:   SS Mariposa
Arrival Date:   September 6, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England
    5,507 Troops onboard

Departure Date:   September 9, 1944
Troop Ship:   SS Mariposa
Arrival Date:   September 16, 1944
Arrival Location:   Boston P of E
    935 Troops onboard /// 534 POWs onboard

With all due respect, I do not see where the "Oran back to Boston" voyage takes place.  If I am somehow missing something in these voyages, please enlighten me.  After all, you were there as a passenger, I was not.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell