Military History/Where to read about tactical mapping of cities

Hello, and thank you for being willing to answer questions.

I would like to know how a soldier would go about making a map of a city he had never been to before, if the map needed to be detailed enough for many different contingencies. I have looked through various field manuals, but they don't seem to show how soldiers make maps of cities. They only warn about the fact that ordinary maps are usually not detailed enough to tell soldiers in cities what they need to know to survive.

Thanks very much for your time and attention.

Dear Julian,
         You can contact the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency using the Internet search engine as well as the U.S. Defense Mapping Agency. I would also suggest you get a book entitled MILITARY GEOGRAPHY FOR PROFESSIONALS AND THE PUBLIC by Colonel John M. Collins, U.S. Army (Retired) published by Brassey's. May God Bless-Lt. Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard  

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

I can answer both specific and general military history questions from ancient times to the present. I also provide references and footnotes where I obtained the answers from.