Military History/ww2,the meaning

Question
In the European Theater of Operations USA,in 1943, what were the qualifications of the G-2 section;and the G-3 section?

Answer
Adelaide:

While I could not find a listing of specific qualifications for G-2 I have read a number of books relating to the subject.

One of the first things that the US Army and US Navy recognized after Dec 1941 was that the US intelligence services of both arms was weak.  They identified the first area they needed to work on was communications or signal intelligence.  Both arms setup centers for training linguists in the languages of all enemy combatant nations. They also set out to recruit American citizens that were native language speakers of German, Japanese and Italian.  Military Intelligence centers were set up in areas in Rural Virginia and in San Francisco at the Presidio to intensively train analysts, cryto-analysts, and translators.

This training was oveseen by the Military Intelligence Service an the Signal Security Agency.

I used to live near a small army post called Vint Hill in rural Virginia, and it was the site fo the school for training officers and enlisted men for G-3.

During the rapid build up of the US forces in 1942-43 the US Army put into place examinations for new recruits to identify those with the necessary technical skills and apptitutes to fill special postitions.  They also designated new ranks to distinguish these roles or military occupational specialties.   These were the "technical" ranks and given the designation "Technical."  A Corporal could also be a Technician Fifth Grade, with two stripes and a "T" under the chevrons.  A buck sergeant (3 stripes) could be a Technichal Sergeant, again with the T under the chevrons. Staff Sergeant could also be Technician 3rd grade and so on up to Technician 2nd grade Or Tech Sergeant.  This link will give you more info on the organization of G-2 in the field organizations.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/Lineage/mi/ch6.htm

Through the tests, intelligent non college graduates could be sent to Officers Candidate's School to obtain a commission.  If they spoke a needed language they would probably have been selected for G-2 to interpret signal intell or captured written materials. Colleges were canvased for prospective candidates who were offered commissions to fill G-2 slots. in units down to company level.

G-3 was a bit differenct.  It was in charge of Operations, including staff duties, exercise planning, training, operational requirements, combat development & tactical doctrine.  This meant that a different set of skills was necessary.  Some level of knowledge of military matters was necessary at least at the higher levels, but staff, planning, and other slots could be filled by educated college graduates, such as lawyers, or men with business experience.  They would have been recruited directly, or identified upon induction and offered OCS or a commission directly.

It is no wonder that the intelligence services of both the British and American intelligence services were filled with Oxford and Harvard men.  The colleges were scoured for intelligent potential candidates for all level of G-3 posts as well.

Military History

Keith H. Patton