Military History/WWI relative

Question
My grandfather served in WWI in France in the 309th Engineers. He was from southern Illinois. How can I find more information about where he served and what he did during the war? We have a few letters that he wrote to my grandma during this time, but he could not say much due to censorship. I have tried looking online but can't find anything about the 309th. I assume he was serving with a larger division. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Answer
The US Army Center of Military History, www.history.army.mil is the official US Army history site.  They should be able to help you find out more about the unit history.

For his individual army history, check with the US Archives at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/.  They have personnel records.  Keep in mind they had a fire back in the 70s and many records were lost.  You'll have to write to find out if your grandfather's records survived.

Good luck in your search.

Military History

John