Military History/WWII Military History - Track Unit in Europe

I am trying to track my father's military service in Europe.  He passed away in 1993.  I do have all his military papers.  Here is his information. Raymond S Reinertson, serial no. 37192882, grade 1st Sgt, ssn# 478-16-1300 from Kelley IA, birth date 11-13-18, date of induction 4-27-42 seperation 1-24-46.  In Europe from
01-18-45 to 01-18-46.  70th Infantry Div, 882 Field Artillery Batallion, Battery A278 ?Field Artillery.He had 2 Bronze Battle Stars, victory Medal American Theater Ribbon 2 overseas service bars.  I would like to find out where he went when he was in Europe.  I know that he was in France, Germany, Belgium, and Luxembourg.  If possible find out the battles he was in and if ever liberated any concentration camps?  Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Hi Donna

Thanks for the question.

I found a number of websites that may help with your research:

I hope this helps in some small way. It is gratifying to see people interested in their family history. I think it's important.

Military History

Trevor Collette

I can answer most specific questions regarding the war on the Eastern Front 1941-45 and general questions on WWII regarding the European Theatre of Operations. I can answer most questions on weapons and vehicles used in those areas of operation, Russian, German, Allied. I can also answer questions on contemporary weapon systems (land/sea/air), nuclear weapons and nuclear war fighting, biological and chemical warfare. I also have an interest in epidemiology and disease in history and Russian history during Stalin, specifically the GuLags. I cannot answer any more questions relating to discharge papers or other paperwork, obtaining military records, ranks and their comparisons, military duties etc. as there are outside my expertise.

3 years Lance Corporal in infantry regiment and 3 years Sapper (Combat Engineer)in Engineer Regiment, both Canadian Army Reserve. Extensive military history library, up until recently I was reading 3-5 books per month on military affairs, then ran out of shelf space, much to my wife's delight.

Business Administration, Human Resources Management