Military History/American Troops in Wels, Austria 1946-47

Would you be able to tell me which division would have been stationed in Wels Austria? Is it possible to find names, pictures, etc.?  Thank you.

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Regrettably, I have pitifully few FACTS to share with you.  Wels, Austria was captured by elements of the 71st Infantry Division, XX Corps, Third Army on May 4, 1945 (V-E Day was May 8, 1945).  United States Forces, Austria (USFA) established its HQ for the American Zone at Salzburg, Austria, August 10, 1945.
       From the few printed sources for FACTS I have, Engineer Units were mainly present in the American Zone of Austria, to aid in rebuilding the infrastructure of Austria & prepare US Bases in Austria for "The Cold War".  Of course, Engineer troops needed QM units, Medical units, etc to support the Engineer troops.  That is all I have.
       My understanding, there is a "Cold War Museum" (Washington, DC ???) that you may wish to contact.  Also, have you contacted City Hall of Wels?  My experience has been, European municipalities keep excellent records.  They may know the unit(s) based in Wels.
       I encourage you to photocopy the Veteran's Discharge Documents, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with you all the FACTS I glean from the photocopies of the Veteran's Discharge Documents.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.