Military History/US Army unit histories

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,

Thank you again for your help with the questions about the USAT Uruguay!

This time I am requesting assistance with finding unit histories or other information about my father's WW2 Army units.

He was in one of the automotive maintenance units formed with the help of the National Association of Auto Dealers (NADA) in 1942.

His first unit was found on orders to proceed to diesel mechanics school dated 15 July 1942.  The unit shown on that paperwork was:
302nd Ordnance Regiment (BASE)
3rd Battalion Company K
Camp Sutton
Monroe, NC

The next unit reference that I find is found in a V-mail from Dad to his brother dated 4 October 1943:
"new address"
3106 Ordnance Company
606th Ordnance Base Armament Maintenance Battalion
APO 782

There were numerous articles in the Dallas Morning News telling of the formation of this unit and of the reunions in Dallas.  In many of them the unit is referred to as the 606th formerly the 302nd .

I have a personnel roster for the 3611th Ordnance H.A.M. Company dated 16 October 1944, Second Automotive Platoon that lists my father.

A V-mail on 5 November 1944 shows "somewhere in France" and 3611 Ord HAM Co, APO 782

A V-mail on 21 November 1944 shows, 3611Ord HAM Co, APO 667

The next unit reference I have found is in 7 March 1945, General Orders awarding "Driver and Mechanics Badge" to my father and others.
It showed:
Headquarters, 54th Ordnance Group, APO 758
With distribution to:
3  TAG, Washington, D.C.
5   CG, ETOSA
1   CG, Seventh Army
1   Central  MRU, APO 887
5   3622th Ord HAM Co
2  Ea EM concerned

A V-mail on 3 April 1945 shows "Germany, 3611 Ord HAM Co, APO 758.

I have a personnel roster dated 9 August 1945 for the  3611th Ordnance HAM Company, APO 772, US Army that lists my father.

The final clue I have is a Special  Order from Headquarters 231st Ordnance Base Depot, APO 772 US Army, transferring my father and others of the 3611th Ord HAM Co to the 16th Reinf Depot for return to the US under the "Green Project".
The SO is dated 14 September 1945.

Field 32 of my father's discharge paperwork shows Battles and Campaigns as:
Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Rhineland, Central Europe
Field 33, Decorations and Citations shows: American Theater Ribbon,
European-African-Middle Eastern ribbon with 4 Bronze Battle Stars, Good Conduct Medal, 6 Overseas Service Bars.

A flyer from one of the reunions of the "606th Ordnance Battalion (formerly the 302nd)" lists various locations around the perimeter.  The following is a list of the locations in the order I think the personnel might have been based or visited the area.
Casablanca
Marrakech
Fedala
Rabat
Port Lyauntey
Meknes
Fez
Sidi-bel-Abbes
Oran
Constantine
Bone
Bizerte
Salerno
Naples
Bagnoli
Vomara
Piazza Dante
Caserta
Sorrento
Anzio
Elba
Livorno
Leghorn
Florence
Volterra
Capri

A news paper article in the Dallas Morning News about my father states "in September, 1944, Mason was transferred to a combat ordnance company of the Seventh Army, accompanying it through France to Munich, Germany."

I would be very interested in any information you might have regarding unit histories, or daily reports from these units, especially during the time my father was in Germany.  

I have researched in Fold3.com, Mocavo.com, and GenealogyBank.com, as well as "The Ordnance Department on Beachhead and Battlefront" by Mayo.

I am finding very little on these units, and no leads on unit histories or daily reports. We do have a National Archive in Denver where I live, but I have not yet tried them. Any leads or information that you may be able to provide would be very much appreciated.  

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael
Denver Colorado

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  You are welcome for my assistance as per FACTS about the SS Uruguay.  I will continue to eagerly await the FACTS you promised me as per:

1)   The date the SS Uruguay arrived at Bermuda after the collision with the USS Salamonie  AO-26 on February 12, 1943

2)   The date the SS Uruguay departed Bermuda after initial repairs were completed

3)   The date & location the SS Uruguay arrived at an East Coast (USA) Port of Embarkation

4)   The date & location the SS Santa Rosa departed an East Coast (USA) Port of Embarkation to pick up the passengers left by the SS Uruguay

5)   The date the SS Santa Rosa arrived at Bermuda

6)   The date the SS Santa Rosa departed Bermuda

7)   The date & location the SS Santa Rosa arrived at a port somewhere along the North African Coast

8)   The date & location the SS Santa Rosa departed a port somewhere along the North African Coast

9)   The date & location the SS Santa Rosa arrived at an East Coast (USA) Port of Embarkation

In your follow-up you typed "The next unit reference that.......brother dated 4 October 1943"  APO 782 was issued to HQ, Peninsular Base Section, the Logistical Support entity for Fifth Army.  HQ, PBS was located at Naples, Italy on October 4, 1943.
       In your follow-up you typed "There are numerous articles in.......the 606th formerly the 302nd."  What is the Dallas Morning News source for this information?
       In your follow-up you typed "A V-mail on 5 November 1944.......Ord HAM Co, APO 782"  APO 782 was still located at Naples, Italy on November 5, 1944, assigned to HQ, PBS.
       In your follow-up you typed "A V-mail on 21 November 1944.......Ord HAM Co, APO 667"  APO 667 was located at Dijon, France on November 21, 1944.
       In your follow-up you typed "The next unit reference I.......to my father and others."  APO 758 was issued to HQ, Seventh Army.  HQ, Seventh Army was located at Luneville, France on March 7, 1945.
       In your follow-up you typed "A V-mail on 3 April 1945.......Ord HAM Co, APO 758."   APO 758, HQ Seventh Army relocated to Neustadt, Germany on April 4, 1945.
       In your follow-up you typed "I have a personnel roster.......Army that lists my father."  APO 772 was issued to HQ, Delta Base Section, the Logistical Support entity for Seventh Army.  HQ, Delta Base Section was located at Marseilles, France on August 9, 1945.
       In your follow-up you typed "A news paper article in the.......through France to Munich, Germany."  Again, what is the Dallas Morning News source for this information?
       In your follow-up you typed "I would be very interested.......my father was in Germany."  I suggest you contact:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
Carlisle Barracks   PA   17013-5050

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.cfm

for additional FACTS about the units you wish to learn more about.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections   

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,

Thank you again.
Here is the information you requested.

Michael

The SS Uruguay arrived in Bermuda on 15 February 1943.
Source: War Diary, US Naval Operating Base, Bermuda, 0000-2400 February 15, 1943, Fold3 document 268749617, page 66

The SS Uruguay departed Bermuda on 19 March 1943.
Source:  War Diary, US Naval Operating Base, Bermuda, 0000-2400 February 19, 1943, The Commandant's Notes, Fold3 document 268838533, page 26

The SS Uruguay arrived in Norfork, Virginia on 21 March 1943.
Source:  Admiralty War Diaries, 3/1/43-3/31/43;4/1/43-4/30/43, Foreign, America & West Indies, Fold3 document  301331376, page 941

The SS Santa Rosa Departed From New York bound for Bermuda on 25 February 1943.
Source:  U.S.S. Swanson, War Diary, Period-February 14, 1943- March 31, 1943, Fold3 document 268542333

The SS Santa Rosa arrived at Bermuda on 27 February 1943.
Source:  War Diary, US Naval Operating Base, Bermuda, 0000-2400 February 27, 1943, The Commandant's Notes, Fold3 document 268749638, page 87

The USAT Santa Rosa departed Bermuda on 7 March 1943.
Source:  War Diary, US Naval Operating Base, Bermuda, 0000-2400 March 7, 1943, Fold3 document 268838474, page 12

The date the USAT Santa Rosa arrived in North Africa (Casablanca ?) is 18 March 1943.
War Diary of the Moroccan Sea Frontier Forces for March of 1943, Fold3 document 268924955, page 21

The USAT Santa Rosa departed on 25 March 1943.

Source: USS Anne Arundel,War Diary, 3/1-31/43, Fold3 document 268755021, page 38 & 39
   USS Brooklyn War Diary, 4/1-30/43, Fold3 document 268977486, page 1

Convoy GUF-6 arrived in New York from Casablanca on 5 April 1943.
Source:  CINCLANT War Diary, 4/1-30/43, Fold3 document 269165533, page 4

All Dallas Morning News archived articles were found using http://www.genealogybank.com.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, THANK YOU PROFUSELY for the FACTS as per the SS Uruguay & the SS Santa Rose, February-April 1943.  It is a pleasure to deal with someone who follows through with their promise to aid with the FACTS.  YOU are a gentleman, a scholar, & there are not many of us left.
       As to the Dallas Morning News, my query was not with where you obtain the Dallas Morning News information from.  My query was where the Dallas Morning News obtained their information from?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell