Military History/Authentic Gettysburg Lithograph

Gettysburg Lithograph
Gettysburg Lithograph  

gettysburg lithograph
gettysburg lithograph  
I need guidence. I want to sell a family lithograph "Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3 1863".
May I introduce myself? I am Bill Nesbitt, 1525 Sarin Street, Columbus, Ohio 43240 . Phone number is . I have attached pictures of the, “subject”, lithograph Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3 1863. Long-story short! My great-great grand-uncle fought at Gettysburg . He was from Alleghany, now known as Pittsburgh , Pa. Uncle Henry Newhart’s wife was the original owner of this stone-lithograph. A few years ago when we lived in Cincinnati , Ohio Wes Cowan of the PBS Antiques ROADSHOW, authenticated it to be from circa 1870-1890. His authentication was based on the intricacy of the print, the 6” Oak Frame configuration, the matting between the lithograph and the glass, and the quality of the glass covering.
My problem is that I cannot find a person to help me identify its historical relevance. I am familiar with Paul Dominique Philippoteaux rendition of the Gettysburg Cyclorama; I know that a copy was cut up and used as bandages for WW1, a copy donated to Wake Forest University , and one is being restored. Additionally, I am aware of only two (2) duplicates of our lithograph. This is not a creation by Prang or other notable painters or lithographers. I have had numerous references including: T.B. Enzel, a printer and an engraver E.V.C. Gelderd from Cincinnati, in the late 1880’s International Engine Company, E.V.C. Gelderd, and endless others. My goal is to determine exactly what we have. I do not intend to sell it; perhaps we will donate it to an institution that can display it for its significance.
I know what it is, maybe. A curator in Gettysburg said that she believed it to be one of (4) four lithographs that were displayed inside of the original Gettysburg Cyclorama vestibule. I know that “PDP’s painting had to be corrected/*revised. He either depicted an officer on-foot leading his mount or depicted him riding the mount and subsequently corrected his painting for accuracy. I believe our lithograph to be an actual/exact replica of the Battle of Gettysburg Cyclorama as depicted in the Gettysburg . The Gettysburg Cyclorama displays two (2) sections: A. representing Pickett's Charge at 4 P.M., July 3rd, 1863; a portion of Wheelers Battery getting into position, and B. Pickett’s Charge at 4 P.M., July 3rd, 1863: General Hancock and staff with Little Round Top in distance. The curator at Gettysburg NPS blew me off. He said that he did not have the interest or time to help me. I have contacted the G.A.R. and they have not responded. I think there may be a G.A.R. connection because as a child I remember my mother and her Aunt referencing the G.A.R..Can you help me to locate someone that may have more knowledge than I have? My phone number is (614)-899-1986 6AM- 10-PM.
Thank you for any help!!!!
Bill Nesbitt  

It sound like you know much more about it than I could ever know.  What I might suggest is that you contact the Smithsonian Institute.  The National Park service is a collection of dolts.  You probably threatened the guy you talked to because he did not have a fracton of the knowledge that you had and you made him feel stupid.  These people don't make much over minimum wage and their knowledge is about as much as it takes to explain things to the historically illiterate general public that come there for a day to look at all the tarnished green cannon and stroll among the state battlefield monuments.

They have a research center:

What might be a fruitful avenue is to see if the Archives of American Art can help you:

They may be able to help you track down exactly what you have.

You threw out the initials G.A.R. which are greek to me.  But it sounds like you did pursue the cyclorama connection.  Have you checked with the museum to see if they had any old documents regarding the company and or artist who did the cyclorama and pursue more information from his estate?  Usually notable artists will leave their papers to a university archive and if you could find out where they are, you might be able to follow the paper trail through his records to see how many lithographs were made and where they went etc.

That is about all the suggestions I can provide.  Another suggestion is to contact the History Detectives on the History Channel.  They specialize in tracking down the provenance of things like this and it could make a cool segment on their show and may help you find a home for your prized possession.  

Military History

Keith H. Patton

I can answer questions pertaining to weapons and tactics, personalities, battles, and strategies in european and U.S. history.

I was a history major, and had done extensive research in the subject area. I have designed and tested numerous computer games for various
historical periods.

B.A History M.S. Science
I have had the opportunity to live abroad and walk numerous battlefields both in the United States, Europe, and the Pacific.