Military History/Bomb runs

Question
Hi Keith - Is a B17 able to drop more than one "load" of bombs on a single run?  Thanks!

Answer
Tim:

The bombadier had a great deal of control over the bombs.  He could specify the interval between bombs, and bombs to release, or the Train, or series or rack.  The bomber had two racks side by side.  He could drop on or both, or individual bombs.  Later model fortresses had external racks on the wings as well.  Here is a site with photos of the bomadier controls which pretty clearly show the selection variety he had.  G, H, I and W are teh relevant controls shown.

http://ships.bouwman.com/B17/Bombardier.html

Military History

Keith H. Patton