Military History/Dadd in WW2

Question
Sir:

Can you point me in the right direction to look up my father's WW2 unit, the 538th Heavy Maintenance Company (I)(Tank), U.S. Third Army on the continent, from CONUS training to North Africa, Sicily, Ireland, England and onto the continent on D-Day + 28?

Dad's name is T-5 Anthony Dombrowski. THANK YOU sir!

Respectfully,

- Stephen Anthony Dombrowski

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "Can you point me in the right direction to look up my father's WW2 unit, the 538th Heavy Maintenance Company".  Yes.  However, please understand the context of my reply.  The following are FACTS about the 538th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company.  Since I do not have in hand a photocopy of page two of your father's Discharge Documents to begin research with, I have no idea whether or not your father was assigned to the 538th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company prior to V-E Day.
       The 538th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company participated in three Campaigns in the ETO, 1944-45:

Northern France        July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe         March 22-May 8, 1945

The 538th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company was also awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation for the period April 8-August 22, 1944.  General Order #56, awarded by HQ, Ninth Army on February 25, 1945.
       In your question you typed "U.S. Third Army on the continent".  May I ask for your source that the 538th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company was ever assigned to Third Army prior to V-E Day?
       In your question you typed "North Africa, Sicily".  May I ask for your source that the 538th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company served in the Mediterranean Theater of Operation?
       In your question you typed "onto the continent on D-Day + 28?"  May I ask for your source that the 538th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company arrived in France 28 days after June 6, 1944?
       I will eagerly await your response to my queries.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell