Military History/Grandfather's Military Medals

Question
Capt Ronnie Winters
Capt Ronnie Winters  
Capt Ronnie Winters Headstone
Capt Ronnie Winters He  
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
I am writing to ask if you could point me to the right people to contact in inquiring about the military record of my Grandfather? He died in a plane crash (non-military in 1958) when I was only 3 years old. I never knew much about him since he and my mother were not that close. A few years ago my mother gave me a letter, insignia and some USAAC/USAF ribbons that belonged to my grandfather. Among his ribbons were one for a Distinguished Flying Cross, an Air Medal w/3 oak leaf clusters, Korea Service Ribbon, WWII Victory Ribbon and several others. The letter, from my Great-Grandmother said that my Grandfather had flown 75 combat missions in WWII and/or Korea as a Pilot.

I have a patch among the insignia for the 5th AF (Korea)but have no knowledge of what units he was in during WWII or Korea other than the patch. I am trying to find the history behind the Medals he received and learm more about his flying experiences in the Air Force. He separated from the Air Force sometime around 1956-1958. His last assignment was with the 14 AMDL Transport Group.

I have sent a letter/form to the Military Records Center in St. Louis and it was returned saying they did not have any records on him. I assume they were destroyed in the fire. Not sure where to turn to now to learn more.

I am attaching his photo and a photo of his headstone in Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery in San Antonio, TX.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.
Best Regards,
Steve

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  It would be my pleasure to try to assist you.  To begin, please photocopy your grandfather's Discharge Documents, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.
       I request a photocopy of your grandfather's Discharge Documents so that I may begin my research with FACTS.  After all, I assume that it is FACTS that you desire about your grandfather.  How closer can you get to FACTS than with a Discharge Documents, since your grandfather signed the Discharge Documents indicating accuracy.
       I will eagerly await a photocopy of your grandfather's Discharge Documents via First Class USPS.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately, I do not have my grandfather's discharge Documents. Their whereabouts are unknown. Through research, I have found information including his service Serial Number, and enlistment and discharge dates for WWII service and Korean War service (he was discharged after WWII and then served again during the Korean War). Other than knowing his date and place of birth, date and place of death and his place of internment, I don't have any other information other than what I provided earlier. I don't know if any of this would be beneficial to you in any research.

Please advise.

Best Regards,
Steve Brown

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Please check with the Funeral Home that handled your grandfather's arrangements for a copy of your grandfather's Discharge Documents.  Your family would have provided a copy of your grandfather's Discharge Documents to the Funeral Home to obtain a Military Funeral.  Also, where did the stone cutters obtain what they cut into your grandfather's Grave Marker?  A copy of your grandfather's Discharge Documents.  Please check with the Funeral Home that handled your grandfather's arrangements.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell