Military History/Identify german/prussian uniform

kluver soldier "papa"
kluver soldier "papa"  
I am attempting to gather some information from a photo. It is presumed to be my third great grandfather. He was born in 1812 in Verden and died in 1885 near Remels, Leer.  According to 1844 records he was a "Dragoner".  Based off the helmet I assume the photo to be from after 1867.  Im just not confident that the photo is of a 55 year old or possibly older person. The photo my be from a more recent ancestor.  The only label on the back is "papa".  In your opinion when do you think the photo was taken, and is there any additional info you can gather from the uniform itself.

I believe that the style of the helmet narrows down the date of the photo to sometime between 1856 and 1897. His uniform is consistent with that of a Dragoner (english, Dragoon), although other possibilities can not be ruled out entirely. He appears to be wearing an officers belt, along with a sword and dagger, which may indicate that he was an officer.

I am sorry that I can not provide more detail, but it is difficult to say anything with certainty based off a small monochromatic photo.

Military History

Isaac Edmondson

Topics on which I can provide answers: European warfare and military affairs from 1600 to 1950. Israeli / Islamic conflicts from 1900 to present day. Areas of particular interest/knowledge: The German Peasantís War. Hannover and Brunswick during the Napoleonic wars. Armor (Tanks) during the first and second world wars. Topics best left to other experts: Military history of Eastern Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, South America and India.

Numerous (not for publishing) papers written on relevant topics and countless pleasant hours spent researching.

Currently enrolled at the University of Maine