Military History/Information on my Uncle John James Rutkowski

Question
QUESTION: My Uncle John James Rutkowski just passed away.   I am trying to put together .. as best I can .. an accounting of his military service.   I have a copy of his DD 214.  I know of his awards etc and his going to France and coming back from Scotland.
His DD214 only states Headquarters company 71st Infantry.  
I know the 71st was part of the 44th Division and he fought in France, Germany, Bavaria and Austria.
Can you find out which Batallion he was in?   and any other information which would not be on his DD214.

Thanks
Rich

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I have a copy of his DD 214."  Since the term "DD 214" is a post-WW 2 phrase, I assume that you have the four page Discharge Documents, WD AGO Form 53-55, 1 November 1944.
       In your question you typed "Headquarters company 71st Infantry."  I assume that what you typed was in Box #6 on page two of your uncle's Discharge Documents.  If so, that was the unit your uncle was assigned to when he was discharged from the US Army, not necessarily the unit your uncle was assigned to prior to V-E Day.
       In your question you typed "Can you find out which Battalion he was in?"  From what you have typed, you already know the unit your uncle was assigned to, at least when he was discharged from the US Army.  Headquarters Company, 71st Infantry Regiment, 44th Infantry Division, New York & New Jersey National Guard.
       In your question you typed "any other information which would not be on his" Discharge Documents.  It would be my pleasure to provide you with additional FACTS about your uncle's role during WW 2.  Please photocopy all four pages of your uncle's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55, 1 November 1944) then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.  I request the Discharge Documents so that I can begin my research with FACTS, as well as to not be redundant with my reply.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union Street   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: In my day ... it was a DD214 .. sorry for calling it that when referring to my uncles discharge paper.    My cousin only sent me a copy of the first page and since my discharge (DD214) was only one page I thought that was all there was.   I am not sure if she has access to the other three pages.   If she can locate them, I will mail them to you.
What information would the other pages have on them?    
If the unit in box 6 might only be the unit he was assigned to at discharge and possibly not the unit he served with overseas ...  How could I find the unit he actually was assigned to prior to V-E Day?   His daughter knows he was with the 44th Division and his embarkation and debarkation dates on the 53-55 concur with that (along with the medals and CIB that he was awarded).    
My last question is regards to the Battle of the Bulge.  He was awarded the Northern France, Rhineland and Central Europe battle stars but not one for Ardennnes-Alsace.  Does that indicate that he did NOT actually "directly" fight in the Battle of the Bulge?   I know the 1st Battalion of the 71st Infantry Regiment received a Presidential Citation for the Battle and that's why I wanted to find out if he was in that Battalion but now he might not of actually been assigned to the the 71st per your previous answer.  Any answers you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "What information would the other pages have on them?"  The FACTS on page three & page four of your uncle's Discharge Documents would include pre-war education, training courses while in the US Army, time spent in grade, specific duties performed by your uncle, etc.
       In your follow-up you typed "If the unit in box.......to prior to V-E Day?"  The unit records.  Also, page three of your uncle's Discharge Documents.  Envelopes from your uncle's wartime correspondence.
       In your follow-up you typed "His daughter knows he was with the 44th Division".  Her documentation is?  Has she shared her documentation with you?  Have you shared this documentation with me?  So far, the only FACT I have been provided is that your uncle was assigned to the 44th Infantry Division when he was discharged from the US Army.  Again, I "request the Discharge Documents so that I can begin my research with FACTS".
       In your follow-up you typed "Does that indicate that.......the Battle of the Bulge?"  If someone does NOT have Ardennes-Alsace typed in Box #32 on page two of their Discharge Documents, it means the individual did NOT participate in the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign.
       In your follow-up you typed "Any answers you can give me will be greatly appreciated."  It will be my pleasure, as soon as I have the FACTS of page one, page two, page three & page four (photocopies) of your uncle's Discharge Documents in hand.  That way I will have FACTS to begin my research with.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections
    211 Union St.   #611
     Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: My Uncle was assigned to the Headquarters company of the 71st Infantry Regiment.  I know the 71st was composed of three battalions.  Would the Headquarters company just be assigned to the commanding staff and NOT one of three battalions?    
My cousin faxed me the other pages of his discharge and I found nothing except military education etc .. none of which would add anything that I did not already know.   
The only confusion I have left is that one place I found written that the 44th division (which included the 71st regiment)  was North of the battle of the bulge area and did not participate in the battle.   However it is also written that the second battalion of the 71st was part of the battle and was awarded a presidential citation.    My assumption can only be if both facts are true is that the 2nd battalion was the ONLY part of the 44th division  71st regiment that fought in the battle and the rest of the 71st were assigned north of the battle area along with the rest of the 44th.

Answer
       I acknowledge your follow-up.  In it you typed "My Uncle was assigned to the Headquarters company of the 71st Infantry Regiment"  44th Infantry Division, NY & NJ National Guard.  You are correct, we have established that FACT.
       In your follow-up you typed "Would the Headquarters company just be assigned to the commanding staff and NOT one of three battalions?"  The HQ Company, 71st Infantry Regiment, was assigned to HQ, 71st Infantry Regiment.  There was a SEPARATE HQ Section assigned to EACH of the HQ for the three Infantry Battalions that were assigned to the 71st Infantry Regiment.  The HQ Section for 1st Battalion, 71st Infantry Regiment, did NOT share the same personnel with HQ Company, 71st Infantry Regiment.  The same is typed for HQ Section, 2nd Battalion, 71st Infantry Regiment & HQ Section, 3rd Battalion, 71st Infantry Regiment.  I am typing about four separate HQ Entities, one at Regimental level & three at Battalion level.
       In your follow-up you typed "The only confusion I have left is that one place I found written that the 44th division was North of the battle of the bulge".  Wrong.  The 44th Infantry Division, NY & NJ National Guard was assigned to XV Corps, Seventh Army, November 25, 1944-April 7, 1945.  Seventh Army was in the Battle of the Bulge, on the southern end of the fighting.  The location of HQ, 44th Infantry Division, NY & NJ National Guard during the Battle of the Bulge is as follows:

Montbronn, France      December 13-21, 1944
Siltzheim, France      December 22-23, 1944
Herbitzheim, France    December 24, 1944-March 24, 1945

I also checked several sources to see if the 71st Infantry Regiment was detached from the 44th Infantry Division, NY & NJ National Guard during this period.  The 71st Infantry Regiment was NOT detached from the 44th Infantry Division, NY & NJ National Guard during this period.
       In your follow-up you typed "My assumption can only be".  More than once I have requested of you photocopies of page two, page three & page four of your uncle's Discharge Documents be sent to me so that I will have FACTS to research from, to provide you with FACTS about your uncle's role in WW 2.  So far, all you have provided me with is an "assumption".  At this point I do not see how I can assist you further, without the FACTS on page two, page three & page four of your uncle's Discharge Documents available to me via First Class USPS.

Richard V. Horrell  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell