Military History/The MP Unit at Scott Field, IL

Question
QUESTION: Mr. Horrell,

I am hoping you can assist me with information, or at least point me in the right direction for information as I have seem to have hit several roadblocks.  I am doing research to know more about my deceased grandfather.  He enlisted in June 1942 and discharged December 1945.  He served as a military policeman and was a PFC when he was discharged.  According to his report of separation, he was stationed at Scott Field, IL as part of the 3505 Base Unit.

I contacted the National Archives but his file was heavily damaged in the fire in the 1970s, and only a couple of pages survived.  I have checked into Scott Air Force Base for information but haven't located anything.    

I wish I knew what his Military Police Unit number was, but I do not.  I also wish I knew if Military Police were deployed overseas or stayed at the base.  Any information would be helpful.  Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Kevin

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank You for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "According to his report of separation".  I assume you are referring to page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents.  An EXCELLENT document to begin your research with.
       In your question you typed "3505 Base Unit".  I assume you are referring to the 3505th AAF Base Unit. Is that the unit that is typed in Box #6 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents?  If so, that was the unit your grandfather was assigned to when he was discharged, not necessarily the unit he was assigned to during most of WW 2.
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with what is typed in Box #32, Box #33 & Box #36 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents?  That will let me know whether or not your grandfather served overseas during WW 2.
       In your question you typed "I wish I knew what his Military Police Unit number was".  Your grandfather may have been assigned to the MP Detachment, 3505th AAF Base Unit.
       In your question you typed "I also wish I knew if Military Police were deployed overseas".  Yes, absolutely.
       I will eagerly await the response to my requests of you.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Mr. Horrell,

Thank you for the prompt response.  There are parts of the inc on page 2 that was damaged in the fire.  For box 6, it has 4 letters, the last two letters might be "dn", has a space and then the numbers 464, followed by two letters and then AAFBU.  It has words under that but can only make out the letters "rd" then a letter and "ld" possibly,and a Wash (could be a Wash).  The 3505 B.U. at Scott Field, IL was the station listed on his last final payment work sheet (final pay voucher).

Under Box 32, 33 and 36 has "none", so I guess that means he stayed in the U.S.

Box 30 says Military Policeman 677.  I don't know if the # is important or not.

Page 2 of the Separation, Final pay voucher, Military Service certification and a form requesting a DD214 were the only things to survive the fire...guess I'm lucky to have the separation papers.

Did the Air Force use MP's from the Army?  My grandfather wrote MP- Air Forces, but the military services certificate says Army.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Since the condition of the Discharge Documents you received from the National Personnel Records Center leave something to be desired, may I suggest that you utilize one of the 6-10 copies your grandfather was provided when he was discharged from the US Army.
       In your follow-up you typed "Did the Air Force use MP's from the Army?"  The "Air Force" did not exist until September 1947, two years after WW 2 ended.  During WW 2 (December 7, 1941-September 2, 1945) the Army Air Force was just that, an entity under the command & control of the US Army.  So the answer to you question is no, the "Air Force" did not use MP's from the Army, because the "Air Force" did not exist yet.  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell