Military History/Troop transport and awards

Question
picture
picture  

papers
papers  
Dear Mr. Horrell          I have enclosed a copy of my fathers discharged papers. would this help you in finding what troop ship he was on?Also earn marksmanship badges but they are not listed on his papers.Do you think there are any more awards he is entitled too?I will also send you a copy of the picture.          

Thank You for your help  Kim

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I have enclosed a copy.......troop ship he was on?"  As to your father's voyage overseas in February-March 1944.  For me to provide a definitive answer I must have three sources of FACTS, one a Primary Source.  In this situation I only have two sources, so I am not 100% sure.  I will share with you my OPINION that the troop ship in question was the SS Japara, but I am NOT 100% sure.
       As to your father's voyage home in December 1945:

Departure Date:   December 12, 1945
Departure Location:   Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands
Troop Ship:   SS Sea Partridge
Arrival Date:   December 26, 1945
Arrival Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation

(NOTE:   The difference between December 26, 1945 & December 27, 1945 is that the SS Sea Partridge arrived at the San Francisco P of E December 26, your father set foot on US Soil December 27)

In your question you typed "Also earned marksmanship badges but they are not listed on his papers."   I have little to type.  In Box #56, your father signed his name, indicating his Discharge Documents are accurate.  I will certainly not argue with your father's signature.
       In your question you typed "Do you think there are any more awards he is entitled to?"  Yes.  Please note Box #4 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  He assigned to the Cavalry.  Please note Box #31 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  Your father was awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge.  Combat INFANTRYman Badges were awarded to members of the Infantry, hence the name.
       The National Defense Act of September 1947 (Yes, TWO YEARS AFTER WW 2 ended) retro-actively awarded to those men who were awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge a Bronze Star Medal for Valor.  With the FACT that you have DOCUMENTATION that your father was awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge, you will be able to have your father awarded a Bronze Star Medal for Valor.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell