You are here:

Military History/Troop transport and awards



Dear Mr. Horrell          I have enclosed a copy of my fathers discharged papers. would this help you in finding what troop ship he was on?Also earn marksmanship badges but they are not listed on his papers.Do you think there are any more awards he is entitled too?I will also send you a copy of the picture.          

         Thank You for your help  Kim

Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I have enclosed a copy.......troop ship he was on?"  As to your father's voyage overseas in February-March 1944.  For me to provide a definitive answer I must have three sources of FACTS, one a Primary Source.  In this situation I only have two sources, so I am not 100% sure.  I will share with you my OPINION that the troop ship in question was the SS Japara, but I am NOT 100% sure.
       As to your father's voyage home in December 1945:

Departure Date:   December 12, 1945
Departure Location:   Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands
Troop Ship:   SS Sea Partridge
Arrival Date:   December 26, 1945
Arrival Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation

(NOTE:   The difference between December 26, 1945 & December 27, 1945 is that the SS Sea Partridge arrived at the San Francisco P of E December 26, your father set foot on US Soil December 27)

       In your question you typed "Also earned marksmanship badges but they are not listed on his papers."   I have little to type.  In Box #56, your father signed his name, indicating his Discharge Documents are accurate.  I will certainly not argue with your father's signature.
       In your question you typed "Do you think there are any more awards he is entitled to?"  Yes.  Please note Box #4 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  He assigned to the Cavalry.  Please note Box #31 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  Your father was awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge.  Combat INFANTRYman Badges were awarded to members of the Infantry, hence the name.
       The National Defense Act of September 1947 (Yes, TWO YEARS AFTER WW 2 ended) retro-actively awarded to those men who were awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge a Bronze Star Medal for Valor.  With the FACT that you have DOCUMENTATION that your father was awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge, you will be able to have your father awarded a Bronze Star Medal for Valor.
       Good Luck with your quest.

   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard V. Horrell


Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.


A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Awards and Honors
Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Past/Present Clients
Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.

©2017 All rights reserved.