Military History/3rd MAW, Mag-44

Question
QUESTION: My father was attached to the 3rd MAW, mag-44 in the pacific in
1944-45, as a navy corpsman. I would like to find out the campaigns this unit was in, and how they functioned.
Thanks for any information you might help me with.

ANSWER: Dear Bruce,
         The 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (3rd MAW) was activated at Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Cherry Point, North Carolina on 10 November 1942 with 13 officers, 25 enlisted, and one trainer aircraft. The 3rd MAW grew through the summer of 1943 but was still severely short of units and aircraft. It deployed several units to the South Pacific in late 1943. In April, 1944, the 3rd MAW turned over its training duties and assigned units to the new 9th Marine Aircraft Wing 9th MAW), moved to San Diego, California and then to Marine Corps Air Station Ewa in May, 1944. The 3rd MAW assumed the duties of Marine Aircraft, Hawaiian Area (MAHA)on 8 May 1944 and was responsible for administration and specialized and advanced tactical training of squadrons deploying from the United States to combat zones as well as control of the U.S. Marine aviation units assigned to area garrison forces. It was tactically subordinate to the Hawaiian Sea Frontier. The 3rd MAW was deactivated at Ewa on 31 December 1945. It was recommissioned on 1 February 1952. Assigned U.S. Marine Corps Aircraft Groups (MAGs): 23, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 44, 53, 61, and Marine Observation Group-1 (MOG). May God Bless-Lt. Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

QUESTION: Thanks for your information. Is it possible to find out what campaigns
the MAG-44 was in? My father mentioned a long time ago about being
on different islands but I was too young to pay attention. Now that he's
gone I have questions.
Thanks again for your help.
Bruce

Answer
Dear Bruce,
         MAG-44 was stationed in the United States and Hawaii only according to the U.S. Marine Corps Historical Reference Center located at U.S. Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia. I contacted them today. May God Bless-Lt. Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard