Military History/APO 201

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell

Am trying to track my fathers movement in ww 2. He was in H-troop,2nd squadron,5th regiment,1st brigade,1st cavalry.Is there anything you can tell me about there movements? Also did the units have the same APO all thought the war?

Thank You for any info Kim

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good Manners NEVER go out of style.
       First, the easy answer.  The 1st Cavalry Division was assigned APO 201 in October 1939, & that APO was still in use by the 1st Cavalry Division through Fall 1957.
       Now then, you have asked me for "info" about your father's movements during WW 2.  Respectfully, without a photocopy of your father's Discharge Documents, I cannot do so.  However, I can provide you with the "movements" of the 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division during WW 2.  Just so we are clear about my answer, this is about the 5th Cavalry Regiment, NOT about your father.

based at Ft. Clark, Texas when WW 2 began, September 1, 1939

based at Ft. Bliss, Texas, beginning November 6, 1939

based at Ft. Clark, Texas, beginning February 4, 1940

based at Ft. Bliss, Texas, beginning February 6, 1941

staged for Overseas Deployment at Camp Stoneman, California, beginning June 20, 1943

departed San Francisco Port of Embarkation, July 3, 1943

sailed on the USAT George Washington

arrived at Brisbane, Australia, July 23, 1943

arrived at Oro Bay, New Guinea, February 22, 1944

arrived at Los Negros Island, February 29, 1944

made an amphibious assault at Leyte, Philippine Islands, October 20, 1944

arrived at Luzon, Philippine Islands, January 27, 1945

arrived at Japan, September 2, 1945

May I recommend you obtain a copy of:

The 1st Cavalry Division in World War II
by Major Bertram C. Wright
Tokyo, Japan        Toppan Printing Company, Ltd        1947

in my opinion the best unit history of the 1st Cavalry Division during WW 2.
       If you wish to photocopy your father's Discharge Documents, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS, it would be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean about YOUR FATHER.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell

Sorry for not inclueding Dads discharge papers here they are.

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, thank you for attaching a copy of your father's WD AGO Form 53-55, not a DD-214.
       Box #6 indicated that your father was assigned to the 5th Cavalry Regiment when he was honorably discharged from the US Army January 7, 1946.  Do you have any other source(s) that indicate your father was assigned to the 5th Cavalry Regiment prior to September 2, 1945?
       I find it interesting that your father was assigned to the Cavalry (Box #4) yet was awarded a Combat INFANTRYMAN Badge (Box #31).
       From the dates in Box #36, I am unable to identify the troop ship that took your father overseas & returned him to the USA.  Obviously troop ships did so, I'm just unable to inform you of the names of the troop ships.  
       As I typed in my first answer, the 5th Cavalry Regiment departed San Francisco P of E July 3, 1943.  Your father departed a West Coast (USA) P of E February 9, 1944.  Therefore, your father was a Cavalry Replacement.  This is not good nor bad, just a simple facts of history.  It in no way diminishes your father role in the defeat of Japan during WW 2.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.