Military History/Jack A. Vainisi/Army of Occupation

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell:  I am trying to retrace the military activities of Jack Anthony Vainisi, who supposedly served in Gen. MacArthur's headquarters. He departed for Japan on August 10, 1946 and arrived back in the U.S. on April 27, 1947.  His military record indicates he was inducted into the Army at Ft. Sheridan, IL then went to Ft Knox, KY, then to Stoneman, CA.  He departed for Japan on Aug. 6, 1946 and served as a supply technician with the Hq Co Hq &Sv Gp G HZ FEC.  The records also indicate an original assignment and organization to which subsequently assigned as APA 500, Hq Co  Hq & Sv Gp AFPAC.  Another entry under appts. promotions shows HQ & Sv Gp,GHQ, AFPAC in addition to Hq Co, Hq & Sv Gp, GHQ AFPAC and Hq Co, Hq & Sv Gp, GHQ FEC.  Please, how do I put some meat on these bones?  For instance, is there a way I might determine what ship he sailed on from California to Japan?  Or how he traveled from Ft. Knox to Stoneman? He also played football for the armed services while in Japan.  He took ill having contracted scarlet fever which turned into rheumatic fever requiring him to spend a good deal of time in the 42nd General Hospital in Japan.  Any assistance you could render would be most appreciated.  Thank you.
Brian

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "He departed for Japan on August 10, 1946" as well as "He departed for Japan on Aug. 6, 1946".  I am confused.
       In your question you typed "The records also indicate".  Would you be so kind as to indicate what "records" you have, as well as your source for these "records".
       In your question you typed "APA 500".  Respectfully, there was no Attack Transport (APA) of the US Navy with the numerical designation "500" in service, 1940-47.
       For me to assist you, I request that your photocopy the Veteran's Discharge Documents, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.

Confused,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell:  Thank you for your prompt reply.  I apologize for the confusion.  The record I have is Mr. Vainisi's service record from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO. Would it be of help for you to review the entire record -- it is 47 pages?  If not, would the discharge documents you mentioned be the "Separation Qualification Record" or the page entitled "Enlisted Record and Report of Separation Honorable Discharge"? The "APA" reference was a typo on my part and should have read "APO". His date of departure for Japan was Aug. 10, 1946.

Thank you for your assistance.

Brian

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  You are welcome to photocopy Mr. Vainisi's "service records from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO" then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.
       Would you also be so kind as to photocopy Mr. Vainisi's "Separation Qualification Record" as well as the "Enlisted Record and Report of Separation Honorable Discharge" & include those photocopies also.  One can never have too many Primary Source documents when conducting ACCURATE historic research.
       APO 500 was located at Yokohama, Japan, beginning September 2, 1945 (V-J Day).  In February 1946 APO 500 was re-located to Tokyo, Japan, & remained at that location until August 1958.
       Unfortunately, I have no record of a troop ship departing a West Coast (USA) Port of Embarkation on August 10, 1946.  Obviously one did depart, I just do not have a record of a departure.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell