Military History/military shells

I recently found in some old boxes a couple of military shells and wondered if you could shed any more light on them. The markings are 3.7 inch HOWR II MSF C.F 1940 . Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You have a shell from a British Mountain gun.  The QF 3.7 inch mountain howitzer was an artillery piece that was light weight and could be broken down moved by men and animals.  1940 is the year of manufacturer, C. F. mean contact fuse.  MSF might be the manufacturer.

The links will go into more detail on the artillery piece that fired you ammunition.

I hope this helps and thank you  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.