Military History/Russian military uniform c. WWI

Question
Josef c. WWI
Josef c. WWI  
I am researching my husband's family history.  The attached photo we think is of his Uncle Josef Jezierski or Yezierski.  The family lived in Grodno (Hrodno) Poland/Russia and we believe is in an Imperial Russian army uniform c. WWI.  The numbers on his shoulder board are difficult to see, but it looks like 288 (written across the short width) and underneath what appears to be 3.I, but with the bar across the top longer to the right.  Of course this would be Cyrillic but that's what it looks like.  The family is Jewish if that makes any difference.

Thank you for any help you can give us in verifying our identification, i.e. does the uniform seem correct for our time frame?  Would you know what branch of the service he might be in?

Answer
I have to ask for help from my good friend Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud about this. He is very good at uniforms. I will mail him tomorrow. As soon as I have his reply I will forward it to you. Shabbath Shalom ve Shavua Tov!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Col. Bojerud has mailed me. The Cyrillic letter corresponds with G. 288 is probably his individual number. He is probably a private in the cavalry of the army (Russian Imperial Army). The regiment is probably the 3rd Grodno Guards Hussars Regiment.

At this point I usually recommend my clients here to contact the military attaché of the embassy of the country in question (the embassy usually has a home page of its own) in order to obtain more details of the service of the relative.

If that is useful here is probably rather uncertain. I do not know if such an attaché in the Russian embassy can or will be of help. But by all means try! We may be surprised! Good luck/Mazel Tov! (My wife is Israeli Jewish).

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.