Military History/Troops crossings 1944 - 1945

Question
Which ship did my father travel in to Europe.  Where did it leave from and where did it land?
He shipped out June 15, 1944 from ? and arrived June 27, 1944 in ?England?
His name was Raymond L. Lainey.  As far as I know he was with Company A 14th Battalion, 4th Regiment from Fort McClellan, Ala.
He returned on the SS Central Falls Victory in October 1945.  I have an original copy of the ship's newsletter for that information.
Thank you,
Sara Herr

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, I will only be able to narrow your quest down to nine troop transport ships.  The dates you typed are for a Troop Ship Convoy with the following troop ships in the convoy:

RMS Arawa
RMS Athlone Castle
RMS Rangitiki

SS Argentina
SS Santa Cecilia

USAT George Washington

USS General Wm. Mitchell  AP-114
USS Hermitage  AP-54
USS Le Jeune  AP-74

All the troop ships arrived at Liverpool, England on June 27, 1944, except the USS Le Jeune  AP-74, which arrived at Gourock, Scotland June 27, 1944.  How to determine which of the nine troop ships your father was a passenger upon, I have no suggestions.  Have you checked with the Military Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO for your father's Personnel File?  There was a fire at their previous location in July 1973 that destroyed approximately 85% of all Personnel File.  You may as well send a letter-of-request to:

National Personnel Records Center
   1 Archives Drive
    St. Louis   MO   63138

Someone has to be in the LUCKY 15%!!!
       May I ask a favor of you?  Would you be so kind as to assist me with FACTS about the SS Central Falls Victory?  Would you be so kind as to share with me the October 1945 dates in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?  Also, from "the ship's newsletter" would you share with me the port the SS Central Falls Victory departed from in the ETO, & the port it arrived at in the USA?  Lastly, in "the ship's newsletter" is there any mention of previous voyages of the SS Central Falls Victory?  If so, would you be so kind as to photocopy "the ship's newsletter" then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS?  Primary Source Documents such as "the ship's newsletter" are invaluable toward ACCURATE historic research.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell