Military History/WWI

Question
Hello Mr. Leepson,
I have this form that was filled out by my great uncle after he served in WWI.  Would you be able to help me understand more about it.  He was a Wagoneer, I think it said that was his rank as well as the company he served in.  What was that?  Do you know anything about this company.  What there mission was.
I would appreciate any enlightening help you could give me.
Thank you so much for doing this type of expert help so lay people can understand the military better.  It's a great service.
Sincerely, Lois Ann Armstrong

New York, World War I Veterans' Service Data, 1913-1919 Record Name: John Patrick Carroll    Date of Birth:  Sept 6th, 1898Date of enlistment May 27th 1916 Volunteer Present residence 29 1/2 Warren St. Saratoga Springs, Saratoga County,NYPlace of enlistment:Saratoga Springs, New YorkRank at enlistment  Private   Wagoner Company battalion, regiment origanization: Hgt. Co.  1st Battalion, 105th Regiment, 27th Division Training camp  where located:  Schenectady, N.Y.,  City Island, NY,   Camp Wadsworth S.C.,  Newport News, VA.Date of embarkation for France or England:  May 18, 1918Name of transport:  President GrantDate of arrival in France or England

Brest,France Action engaged in:  Hindenburg line Sept 29th - 30 1918,  LaSelle Rine  Oct 17th, 1918,  Jone De Mek Ridge Oct. 18th, 1918,  Vierstracet Ridge August 31 - 2 Sept 1918, The Knoll - Guillemount Farm Sept 29th, 1918, and St. Maurice River 19-20 Oct 1918 Wounded: No  Date of embarkation for America  ??   Date of arrival March 6, 1919Name of transport: LavathuianBrief story of your experiences (in battles, in camps in America, with the navy)I enlisted in May 27th, 1916 in Co L snd NY   losf??? transport to Hgt Co. Oct 17,1917.  Served inFrance and Belgium working on French gran., I preformed casinas, also served in 1 st line transport, was in all battles with my reg, took part in and never got wounded or gassed. Date and place of mustering out of service: March 6,1919 Camp Upton, NY

Answer
A wagoneer was someone who drove a horse-pulled wagon--in other words, the modern equivalent of a truck driver. The unit he served in was the 105th Infantry Regiment, which became part of the 27th Infantry Division when it was sent to France in 1918. The only rank mentioned here is Private.

Here's a history of the unit, which goes back to 1835: http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitPageHistory/1,13506,100581%7C966102,00.html

Hope this helps.

Military History

Marc Leepson