Military History/545th Ordinance Heavy Maintenance Co

Question
My father served in the 545th during WWII.  Can you help me find additional sources of information and facts about the 545th in WW II?  I am also interested in maps showing the routes this Company took during the war.  Thank you.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  It will be my pleasure to assist you, since my father served in the same type of unit as yours.  However, please allow me to place my answer in proper context.  Since I do not have access to a photocopy of your father's Discharge Documents, I cannot provide you with any FACTS about your father's service in WW 2.  I have no FACTS to begin my research with.  But, I can provide you with some of the history of the 545th, since I do have copies of the unit history for Third Army & Ninth Army.
       The 545th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company (Field Army) participated in four Campaigns during WW 2.

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland         September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

(are these the Campaigns listed in Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?)
       Since the 545th participated in the Normandy Campaign, we know the unit arrived in Normandy prior to July 24, 1944.  This was at a time when units of Third Army were arriving at the Cotentin Peninsula, France, as the buildup to Third Army's activation on August 1, 1944.  Upon activation of Third Army, the 545th received orders assigning the unit to:

Third Army
 69th Ordnance Group
   24th Ordnance Battalion
     545th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company (Field Army)

Third Army then attached the 24th Ordnance Battalion (including the 545th) to XII Corps, which was assigned to Third Army.
       These assignments & attachments continued until early September 1944, when the Ninth Army became operational on September 5, 1944.  First Army & Third Army had many of its Army Service Forces units assigned to Ninth Army for the duration of combat in the ETO.  The 545th received orders assigning the unit to:

Ninth Army
 59th Ordnance Group
   328th Ordnance Battalion

This assignment continued until early May, 1945 (V-E Day was May 8, 1945).  Then the 545th was assigned to the Army of Occupation, Germany, May 2-August 14, 1945.  
       The 545th was awarded a Meritorious Unit Citation for the period November 1, 1944-March 10, 1945.  General Order #94; HQ, Ninth Army; awarded May 31, 1945.
       As to additional sources for FACTS, I suggest:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
   Carlisle Barracks   PA   17013-5050

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.cfm

As to a map showing the route of the 545th, that may be difficult.  May I suggest you look for a map of the route of the 24th Ordnance Battalion & the 328th Ordnance Battalion.  The odds are better that there may be a map for those two units.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union Street   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell