Military History/CIB

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

Ref:  http://www.lonesentry.com/newspapers/16th-armored/index.html

18TH RECEIVES COMBAT INFANTRY BADGE AWARD
Thirty-two officers and 831 enlisted men have been awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge in the 18th Armored Infantry Battalion.
Only those men who have participated in combat against the enemy are entitled to wear the badge. Enlisted men receive ten dollars per month additional pay after they are awarded the badge.

Attempting to determine the MOS of recipients and possibly obtain copies of General Orders awarding CIB.

Purpose:  To provide evidence War Department Circular 186 and/or 408 were followed to justify the CIB.  The MOS of an infantryman was not a listed requirement during WWII contrary to what the USA requires.

ANSWER: Greetings

In order to find out the men’s MOS you will need names of the soldiers.  Indeed you did not have to be a infantryman to get a CIB; during the Battle of the Bulge many cooks, musicians and other noncombat personal were handed a rifle and fought the Germans.  Many did win CIB awards.  

I don’t have any specific names of men who served in the 18th Armored Infantry Battalion but check out this website

http://www.vetfriends.com/units/?unit=351519
I wish I had more for you but I wish you success in your research.

Thank you

QUESTION: "Indeed you did not have to be a infantryman to get a CIB; during the Battle of the Bulge many cooks, musicians and other noncombat personal were handed a rifle and fought the Germans.  Many did win CIB awards."

Thank you for the accurate statement.  Members of various units involved in battles of Bataan and Corregidor fought the enemy as infantryman.  They met circumstances listed in applicable guidelines, War Department Circulars 269, dated 27 October 1943 and WDC 105, dated 13 March 1944.  The latter amended the former WDC and was retroactive on or after 6 December 1941.

WDC 105 states the Combat Infantryman badge may be awarded to any infantryman.  The USA and USAR applied pertinent guidelines post WWII until January 2003 to former members of AAF units, tank battalions, coast artillery units, etc..

However, civilian employees of the USA today are denying all who did not possess the MOS of an infantryman and/or assigned to an infantry unit.  The MOS was not required until after WWII.  Assigned to an infantry unit or listed in the TOI was not required until 1944.

I received 5 years ago the response listed below when I attempted to assist an 89 year old retired USAF Colonel receive the CIB.

I have researched your question.  See the attached doc.

The US Army Awards Board provides the following:

During World War II, award of the Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) was limited to infantrymen assigned to bona fide infantry units. Personnel other than infantry who were members of provisional infantry units organized by local field commanders and who fought as infantrymen due to tactical exigencies were not eligible for the CIB. Army leadership at the time recognized that tactical emergencies compelled the temporary performance of infantry duties by personnel assigned to branches other than infantry. However, performance of these duties was temporary and limited to the duration of the particular emergency, whereas infantrymen continued their primary combat mission indefinitely.

Upon release of POWs in the Philippines, the question arose as to which individuals should be considered eligible for the award of the Combat Infantryman Badge. After a thorough study, Army leadership determined that the award of the CIB would be confined to personnel who basic branch was infantry and who, during active ground combat, were assigned to Table of Organization Infantry (TOI) units.

There was no evidence found that indicated that the PACR was designated among the TOI units. Accordingly, the members of the PACR were not eligible for the CIB.

Adair Petty
Operations Officer
Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA)
(703) 607-2190
http://arba.army.pentagon.mil

There have been several officers I have been involved denied the CIB  the past several years. A retired USA Lt. Colonel, and retired USA Captain.

By the way, according to a newspaper article, dated January 2003, Congressman Patrick Kennedy (RI) presented the CIB to an AAF veteran.

According to a local attorney (Retired USAFR Colonel, former JAG Officer), states in a 5 page letter of legal opinion it is a violation of the U.S. Constitution to apply a guideline after the fact.

Attempts to sway members connected with the USA to  follow guidelines listed, continue the process applied by the USA, USAR, and recognize the history of recipeint, these veterans have fought alongside have been futile.

Substantial avenues have been tested including members of the U.S. Congress to no avail.

Not only is the U.S. Constitution being violated, but the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), Article 92.  Failure to obey order or regulation is being violated.

Question:  How may the system continue as you stated, and my research reveals?

ANSWER: Greetings
In order to continue you are going to need several people to act as advocates.  One your local congressman or senator should be able to help.  Your local congressman is the best place to start.  Congressman love finding a just cause and push for it normally.  If not a congressman a senator can get many items done.  Find a local reporter that is looking for a public interest story.  Find a reporter who is a veteran.  Check at your local colleges and university for World War 2 historians and see if they can help.  Many college history professors are published and that can help in getting the information out there.  Writing a historical wrong is never easy, but if you believe in our cause it is worth it.

One other way might be to try a Kickstarter campaign to fund further research and find allies

http://www.kickstarter.com/

I hope this helps and Thank you

QUESTION: "In order to continue you are going to need several people to act as advocates.  One your local congressman or senator should be able to help.  Your local congressman is the best place to start.  Congressman love finding a just cause and push for it normally.  If not a congressman a senator can get many items done.  Find a local reporter that is looking for a public interest story.  Find a reporter who is a veteran."

Thanks for the tips.  I have spent all avenues with  members of Congress in my district.  There is no assistance available outside my district according to protocol.

I have spoken to several reporters regurding the subject.  They are hesitant to followup.

I prepared the material below for a differant person in your organization, but was offered to contact a priest.

Hello,

For the past number of years, I have been involved with WWII veterans and/or next of kin of veterans. The majority were involved in battles of Bataan and Corregidor during the period of 7 December 1941 to 10 May 1942.

Unfortunately since my involvement, substantial numbers have gone to their graves denied full recognition towards combat service.  Included in the list, is the Combat Infantryman badge (CIB).

During the period listed, two War Department Circulars apply.  No other guideline is involved during the time period of the battles to determine eligibility of the CIB.  However, certain U.S. Army active duty personnel and civilian employees are not following the War Department Circulars.  They are WDC 269, dated 27 October 1943, and WDC 105, dated 13 March 1944.  The latter amended the former WDC, and made retroactive on or after 6 December 1941.

Ref:  Page 2, paragraph IV.. Badge--- states:  Section I, Circular No. 269, War Department, 1943, is amended by adding paragraph 8 as follows:
        8.  Retroactive award of Expert and Combat Infantryman badges---a.  Ex-
      pert and Combat Infantryman badges may be awarded to any infantryman
      who, on or after 6 December 1941, has established eligibility and been recom-
      mended for such award under the provisions of paragraph 2b or paragraph 3.
        b. The Expert Infantryman badge may be awarded under paragraph 2a,
      only to those infantrymen who have established eligibility and been recom-
      mended for such award on or after 27 October 1943.    

Please note the requirement to be assigned to an infantry unit or be listed in the table of organization was not required.  WDC 186, dated 11 May 1944 is the initial guideline requiring assignment to an infantry unit.  WDC 408, dated 17 October 1944 was the initial guideline requiring combatants designated as infantry in the tables of organization or tables of organization and equipment.

The requirement to possess the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of an infantryman was not effective during WWII.

Please note:

Recent correspondence from a family member of a WWII veteran:

“According to the Military Awards Branch of the US Army Human Resources Command (USAHRC) individuals were only to be awarded the CIB in WWII if they possessed an MOS of the following: Light machine gunner (604); Heavy machine gunner (605); Platoon sergeant (651); Squad leader (653); Rifleman (745); Automatic rifleman (746); Heavy weapons NCO (812), or Gun crewman (864).”

However,

Bill’s separation record and discharge papers only list MOS 521 and 620.  (Please note:  MOS 521 is Basic, and MOS 620 is parachute rigger and repairman).
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Robersabel/media/CIBGeneralOrders_zpsdb359b94.jp

Military History/Southern Philippines campaign WWII

Ref:  http://en.allexperts.com/q/Military-History-669/2010/9/Southern-Phillipines-camp

“Only an Infantryman in an Infantryman’s Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), serving in an Infantryman Unit (a Colonel, or below in a Brigade or lower Unit) can be awarded a CIB.”

John Vargas of AllExperts

Finally, there is a local attorney who states by the military applying guidelines dated after the fact is a violation of the U.S. Constitution.  The retired USAFR Colonel is a former JAG Officer.  He was kind enough to provide a 5 page letter of legal opinion.  The Army is ignoring it.  

Robert

Answer
Greetings

You have done some very extensive work; I don’t know if I can add any more.  Once bureaucracy gets set on a path it is very hard to change course.  One place to check would be the national World War 2 museum

http://www.ddaymuseum.org/

The other is contacting Tom Hanks who is putting together another World War 2 miniseries.

Try contacting him at Amblin
Amblin Entertainment / Dreamworks SKG
100 Universal City Plaza, Bungelow 477
Universal City, CA 91608-1085
(818) 777-4600

I wish had more to give.  I wish you success.

Thank you  

Military History

Paul Sutton