Military History/Father's WWII Service

QUESTION: My father served in the 3546th Ordnance Medium Auto Maintenance Co. in Normandy-Northern France-Ardennes-Rhineland. I know that he was a jeep driver. I'm searching for more information and would like to track him throughout the war if at all possible. Can you possibly help? And do you have any idea how I might go about obtaining a copy of his unit's history?
Thank you.

ANSWER: You can try to get a copy of his Military Personnel Record from National Archives. There's a good website that shows you how. Go to

For the unit history, try checking with the Army Center of Military History. Start with their web site:

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response. However, even though my father's personnel records were some that burned, I am still in hopes of finding information on the 3546th Ordnance Med. Auto Maintenance Co. I'm looking for more detailed information on their movements throughout Europe. If you have any ideas where I might obtain this information, I would deeply appreciate it. Thank you, again.

I would still try to check with the Army Center of Military History. I have a phone number for the library there. Try 202-685-4042. Someone there should be able to point you in the right direction.

I did a quick Google search and it looks like that company was part of the 244th Engineer Combat Battalion in the 9th Army. This is the website that lists all the units of that battalion:

So you might want to also look for more info on that Battalion.

Also: Just found an AP article that talks about them returning home in August 1945:

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America