Military History/Roosevelt asking the British to dismantle their empire

Question
Dear expert,

In the documentary TV series "Oliver Stone's Secret History of the United States", he claims that one of Roosevelt's conditions for helping the British by joining World War II was that the British start dismantling their empire. A friend of mine doesn't believe that this is so, so I am trying to do some research into it. Do you know if it is true, and can you point to any books or other evidence that supports Oliver Stone's claim?

Thanks a lot!
- Tue Sorensen, Denmark

Answer
Du kan godt skriva på dansk! Jag förstår mycket väl! Jag är svensk.

I have heard this too many times. I do not KNOW if it is true but it probably is based on what I know of Rooseveldt in other ways. If true, it was probably unfortunate, since most of the colonies at that time were not mature enough for independence (my personal view).

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.