Military History/sword mailed from grandfather to grandmother june 16 1940s

I was given both swords by grandmother she was told that they were  taken off a fallen Japanese soldier at Okinawa in june 1945 i cant find any info on sword wondering if it was just a family piece or even if story is true if u could give me any information on them thank you

It would be an honor to help.  You have 2 blades from the Philippines.  The smaller one is called a Gunong or a Kris knife.  It has some similarities to the larger Kris sword.  Your second weapon is a Luzon sword and it has been modified.  When the Japanese took over the Philippines they loved the local bladed weapons and used them.  When US troops retook the island these blades were shipped back to US in large numbers.  They are not Japanese swords but were most likely owned by a Japanese soldier.  

They are not worth a large amount as they are still produced in the Philippians for tourists.  

I hope this helps and enjoy the links

Thank you  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.