Military History/U

I came into possession of a piece of military equipment a Lewyt Night Vision Scope Infrared US Navy WWII US/AM NAN R-1400 Spotting. There is nothing on the web pertaining to the operation, purpose or history of the device. My inquires to other historical entities have brought no elucidation about this device.

A very interesting piece of technology.  The Germans during World War 2 developed many types of infrared systems to fight at night.  Most didnít work very well but some showed promise.  The US military raided the Germany technology and evolved their own early night vision based on infrared.  Later night scope used amplified light that does exist at night such as moonlight.  The US Army did develop some experiential infrared sniper system during World War 2 the M1 Infrared Sniperscope was one.  Your scope is very similar to the M1 infrared and was a Navy version built by Lewyt.  Your scope is most likely post World War 2 and may have been used in Korea with US Marines or US Seabees.
I hope this helps and enjoy the links  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.