Military History/Australian shell casing

Australian shell casing
Australian shell casin  
I recently came across this shell casing and would like some info on it if you have any please.  
It has the Australian Commonwealth Military Firces badge seal on top third of the casing.  Across the bottom third, there is a banner, approx 3/8" wide, in cap letters, strung together, spelling AUSTRALIA.  And, on the bottom, the following numbers, S, next to a 9' which is over a 17.. As if in a fraction.

What you have is commonly called trench art.  Soldiers would use left over shell casing to make items to send home to friends and family.  This might be a Krupp 9 pound shell casing; not 100 percent sure.  If you can get me the measurement of the base and a picture of the base that might help.  

Thank you and check out the link

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.