Military History/Erfurt 1914

Question
I have a rifle with the markings Erfurt 1914and also the markings RAX98.  I cannot find anything with this year.  Can you tell me something about it?

Answer
Rodney:

The rifle the Gewehr 98 was shortened in length and became known as the K-98 short for Karbine.  It is probably in 8mm.  WWI was just starting up in 1914 so there were a lot of rifles made at the Imperial Armory located in Erfurt.  They were made there from 1899 to 1909 and from 1912 ro 1918.

The number you list does not sound like a regimental unit and weapon number.  Where was the number located?  The cartuches on the rear band of the reciever housing give the most information.  The RAX98 could be something else.

ax         Feinmechanische Werke, G.m.b.H., Erfurt, Altonaerstr. 25

www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/ww1/gew98.pdf  

Military History

Keith H. Patton