Military History/APO from WW 2 letter

Question
My grandfather sent letters home with the Months July, August and September 1944. His address was Herman W. Greer Provisional Co. K 15404 APO NY NY  The other letter has September 10, 1944 and is Rep.Co APO 781 Rg pom Ny Ny I know these are temporary units for replacements I believe. Do you have any information on them. Thank you. Neicha Pottinger

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.  APO 15404 was established June 23, 1944, to handle the overflow of mail being sent to APO 698.  APO 698 was assigned to the 2628th Hospital Section.  Transported from Algiers, Algeria, the 2628th began accepting patients at Caserta, Italy, August 1, 1944.  The 2628th next move was to Follonica, Italy, during September 1944.
       APO 781 was established August 16, 1943 at Casablanca, Morocco, to handle the mail sent to soldiers serving in the M.T.O. (Mediterranean Theater of Operations).  From March 15, 1944 through July 31, 1944, APO 781 was located at Bari, Italy.  Beginning August 1, 1944, APO 781 was located at Capua, Italy.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell