Military History/My grandfather's story

Question
Grandfather\'s Discharge Paper 1
Grandfather's Discharg  

Grandfather\'s Discharge Paper 2
Grandfather's Discharg  
Mr. Horrell, I am looking for answers about what division my grandfather served under.  I am having trouble finding information and what I do find does not match.  My grandfather's discharge papers state he fought with the 982nd Signal Service Company.  I sent away to the National Archives for paperwork and they just said that the company was in Southern France for the landing but my grandfather's papers state he landed in Normandy which he verified he fought with that company and landed in Normandy when he was alive.  My other grandfather fought with the 45th Cavalry Recon Troop in the 45th Infantry division and it was very easy to find information about his troop and division.  I even found someone who fought with him but with my other grandfather I run into a big wall and nothing matches when I do find something.  I really just want to know my grandfather's story where he was what division under.   Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.  Any information you can find would really mean the world to me.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell", good manners NEVER go out-of-style.  And a Third Thank You for attaching a copy of your grandfather's Discharge Documents.  THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU
       In your question you typed "My grandfathers discharge papers state he fought with the 982nd Signal Service Company."  With all due respect, I could find nothing on page 2 of your grandfather's Discharge Documents that provides you with the facts you typed.  In Box #6, ORGANIZATION the document indicates your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to the 982nd Signal Service Company when he was discharged from the US Army September 23, 1945 (Box #7).
       The 982nd Signal Service Company was an A.S.F. (Army Service Forces) Unit, to provide logistical support for the A.G.F. (Army Ground Forces) Unit, which did 95% of the fighting.  The only typed portion of your grandfather's Discharge Documents that indicates your grandfather served in an A.S.F. Unit was 982nd Signal Service Company, & "SC" typed in Box #4.  Box #30, 32, 33 & 34 indicates to me that your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to an A.G.F. Unit.  Which one is now the next question.
       I took the first set of dates, horizontally, in Box #36 of your grandfather's Discharge Documents.  Those dates coincide with the dates of a Troop Ship Convoy transporting elements of the 30th Infantry Division, 5th Armored Division & 6th Armored Division from an East Coast Port of Embarkation to a port in Great Britain.  Other than Corporals were paid $66 per month, I have little else to tell you.
       Have you any of your grandfather's correspondence from WW 2?  If so, you need to look at the envelope.  The letter is not important for what you are trying to do at this time, the envelopes will provide us with the FACTS.  Depending upon who sent the letter, the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945 appears in the address or return address.
       Have you any photographs of your grandfather during WW 2?  If so, please look at the left upper sleeve of whatever garment he is wearing.  IF there is a shoulder patch, that may be a clue as to the unit we need to determine.
       Have you any photographs of your grandfather during WW 2 where he is near a Military Vehicle?  IF so, can you determine the letters, numerals, etc painted upon the bumpers or bumperettes?  That would help determine the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Rd
      Apt   E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell