Military History/To hell and back uniforms

Hi, I was wondering if the uniforms from "to hell and back" were accurate. In some sequences it almost looks like they were wearing dress shirts. Would the men of te 3rd division have worn uniforms similar to Saving private Ryan?  Thank you

A very great question.  Hollywood is known for messing up uniforms and other military items, but not this time.  With Audie Murphy acting and working as a consult the movie is very accurate; close to 80% in terms of uniforms.  There are hundreds of pictures of Audie from the war and the movie strove to keep it accurate.  The uniforms were way to clean but that is Hollywood.  Soldiers wore what they had and if a dress shirt was dry and a little clean you would wear it.  Also Patton who commanded the 3rd Infantry division in France was a stickler for uniforms and his troop responded by following his ideas as to what uniform to wear.  Some soldiers would have had similar uniforms to the ones in Saving Private Ryan but many dressed up for Patton.
I hope this helps and check out the link.
Thank you  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.