Military History/Korean veteran with dementia

Question
Dear LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard,

Thanks for your recent research.

My question is as follows:

Where was Company D 1st Battalion 185th Infantry Regiment 49th Infantry Division during the Korean War, 1950-1953?  

Were there any combat jumps into North Korea during the war?

Thank you for your time.

Victor Henry
Reference Librarian
Monterey Public Library

Answer
Dear Mr. Henry,
         Here are the answers to your questions:

*The entire 185th Infantry Regiment, along with the rest of the 49th Infantry Division stayed in California during the Korean War. California at the time had two infantry divisions-the 40th (Grizzly Division) Infantry Division and the 49th (The 49ers) Infantry Division. The 40th was sent to South Korea where it arrived on 3 February 1952 relieving the 24th Infantry Division. Reference The Korean Order Of Battle: United States, United Nations, And Communist Ground, Naval, and Air Forces, 1950-1953.   

*The following combat jumps are recorded for the Korean War:

-October 20, 1950 in which the 2nd Battalion, 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team (The Rakkasans) were dropped on Drop Zone Sukchon. It was codenamed Operation DZ EASY with 1,203 papatroopers.

-October 20, 1950 in which the 1st and 3rd Battalions, 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team were dropped on Drop Zone Sukchon. It was codenamed Operation DZ WILLIAM with 1,470 paratroopers.

-October 21, 1950 in which the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team were dropped on Drop Zone Sukchon. It was codenamed Operation DZ WILLIAM with 671 paratroopers.

-March 23, 1951 in which the 187th Airbone Regimental Combat Team with the attached units of the U.S. 2nd and 4th Airborne Ranger Companies and a detachment from the 60th (Parachute) Field Ambulance of the Indian Army were dropped on Drop Zone Munsan-ni. It was codenamed Operation TOMAHAWK with 3,486 paratroopers.

The above reference is the Korean War Educator.

May God Bless-Lt. Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard  

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard