Military History/National Guard Divisions during WW 2

I was wondering if the location of your enlistment during WW2 would determine what division you were in. For example, a man signs up in the army in 1942 in the state of Missouri... would he be assigned to the 35th Infantry Division? Or would he be assigned to any division. Thanks

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  The simple answer is no, but we all know that life & Military History is never simple.
       First of all, we need to determine what "your enlistment" & "signs up in the army" means.  I assume you mean a man enlisting in the US Army in 1942.  Not many men enlisted in the US Army during 1942.  3,033,361 men were Drafted in 1942, so most men were Drafted into the US Army.  
       As to being assigned to the 35th Infantry Division, the 35th was Federalized on December 23, 1940.  By 1942 there were still some pre-war NG soldiers assigned to the 35th, but there were also many new soldiers assigned, to make up for the pre-war NG members who were too old, too many dependents, or their civilian job exempted them from Military Service.
       Now then, let's type that an 18 year old was Drafted into the US Army in 1942.  He went through Infantry Basic Training, & while doing so his father's next door neighbor's barber's cousin's plumber provides plumbing repairs for Senator Champ Clark of Missouri.  Dad asks all the men to pull some strings so that Senator Champ Clark will have the 18 year old son assigned to either the 134th, 137th or 320th Infantry Regiments.  Pulling strings of this sort did happen in 1942.
       If this is a discussion point that came up while pitching horse shoes & everybody was drinking beer from the same bucket, I hope my reply will suffice.  However, if this an anonymous event that happened to someone, it would be my pleasure to assist you further.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Rd.
      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215

If you do contact me, please include your e-mail address for ease of response.  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.