Military History/Patches and Pins

Dad\'s Hat
Dad's Hat  
Attached are pictures of the hat my dad always wore.  He served in WWII and was assigned to Battery C 530th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion.  I'm trying to identify the patches and pins.  I have been able to identify some of them.  I'm somewhat confused though because he had both a 3rd army and a 7th army patch and so I'm not sure which one he was part of. I'm also trying to find out any information about his battalion.  Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  May we please establish a format that I will follow to answer your question?  In your scan you have seven photographs, two in the top row, three in the middle row, two in the bottom row.  My reply will be left to right, top to bottom.

Top Row:   Seventh Army Shoulder Patch (Seven Steps To Hell).  The 71st Infantry Division was assigned [assigned] to Seventh Army, March 2-28, 1945

Top Row:   A D.I. (Distinctive Insignia) for an Anti-Aircraft Artillery Unit.  The D.I. is NOT for the 530th, which never had a D.I.

Middle Row:   Third Army Shoulder Patch.  The 71st Infantry Division was assigned [assigned] to Third Army, April 8-May 8, 1945

Middle Row:   Anti-Aircraft Command Shoulder Patch.  The Shoulder Patch your father wore while in the continental U.S., training for overseas deployment.

Middle Row:   71st Infantry Division Shoulder Patch.  The 530th AAA Auto-Wpns Battalion was attached [attached] to the 71st Infantry Division, March 15-May 10, 1945.

PLEASE NOTE:   The 530th was ATTACHED (NOT assigned) to the 71st Infantry Division.  The 71st Infantry Division Shoulder Patch was NOT worn by your father upon his uniform prior to May 8, 1945.  Your father wore the shoulder patch of the unit(s) the 530th was ASSIGNED to, either Seventh Army or Third Army.  Your father acquired the 71st Infantry Division as a memento of a unit the 530th was ATTACHED to.

Bottom Row:   Honorable Discharge Pin.  Made of brass, it was to be worn by your father AFTER he was discharged from the US Army.  It was to be worn in the buttonhole on the lapel of your father's suit coat or sport coat.  The slang term for this pin was "Ruptured Duck".  

Bottom Row:   The Collar Brass indicating the wearer is ASSIGNED to an Anti-Aircraft Unit.  In this photograph, the Collar Brass is up-side-down.  Please refer to the last photograph in the middle row (71st Infantry Division Shoulder Patch).  Please look at the 71st patch, then look to the left.  There is a Collar Brass with U.S. upon it.  These are the two pieces of Collar Brass your father wore on the upper portion of the lapels on his Class A Uniform Jacket.

In your question you typed "I'm also trying to find out any information about his battalion.  I prefer to provide facts from printed sources as opposed to information (from the internet?).

530th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion  

Activated at Santa Monica, CA, September 10, 1943

Departed New York Port of Embarkation, December 16, 1944

Sailed on the RMS Queen Elizabeth (13, 057 Troops onboard)

Arrived at Gourock, Scotland, December 21, 1944

Arrived in France, March 8, 1945

Rhineland        September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe   March 22-May 8, 1945

Assigned to Seventh Army, March 2-28, 1945

Attached to the 71st Infantry Division, March 15-May 10, 1945

Assigned to Third Army, April 8-May 8, 1945

V-E Day, Tuesday, May 8, 1945

Arrived at the New York Port of Embarkation, November 2, 1945

De-activated at Camp Shanks, New York, November 3, 1945

Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.