Military History/SHAEF MPs

Question
QUESTION: Mr. Horrell,

My father served as an MP in SHAEF during WWII.  His records were destroyed in the 1974 Kansas Storage Facility fire.  He never spoke much about his service and he passed away in 1991.  I have spent a considerable amount of time attempting to track his movements, and recreate his service record, during WWII based on what little information I have.

I note from one of your responses that he was likely assigned to the 201st MP Company.  I have written to several Army museums, and SHAEF MP website, for more information but have yet to receive a reply.  So here is what I know;

He was trained at Camp Gordon in Georgia.  Probably shipped out to Europe Feb 1943.  I do not know the actual date or the name of the ship.  This where my information becomes sketchy.  I know from what little he told us that his last assignment was guarding several Naziís before they could be tried in Nuremburg.  That would probably be in Reims, France because he was shipped home sometime between July and October.

Is there some documentation as to the SHAEF MPs movements during the war (England to Europe, etc.)?  Would there be records of Orders of the Day or some other records?

I note that the 201st was awarded campaign credits for Northern France and Rhineland campaigns.  Assuming that he was in Europe, and involved in the actual fighting, would this qualify him for the Infantry Combat Badge?   

He was wounded by a German mortar round somewhere in France based on what he told us.  Iíve written the Purple Heart Association but they werenít very helpful.

I am looking for factual information so any suggestions that you might offer are most welcome.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed that your father's "records were destroyed in the 1974 Kansas Storage Facility fire."  The only "fire" that I am aware of was the July 1973 fire at the Military Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO.
       In your question you typed that you are "recreating his service records".  Respectfully, for whom?  If it is the US Government, my experience has been that their interest is nil.  If you are wishing to put together a Timeline of your father's service during WW 2 (every day he was in the military, where he was & what he was doing, that is great) it would only be of interest to you & of genealogical interest to your family.
       In your question you typed "I note from one of your responses that he was likely assigned to the 201st MP Company."  Have we made contact before on AllExperts?  I keep records of my responses, & I can find to reply about the 201st MP Company to a gentleman residing in Michigan.  Could you please clarify?  Also, do you possess a Primary Source that your father was assigned to the 201st MP Company?
       In your question you typed "Probably shipped out to Europe Feb 1943.  I do not know the actual date or the name of the ship."  Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL the dates typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?  With those FACTS from a Primary Source, we can try to determine the Troop Ship your father went overseas upon, & his voyage home.
       As to the "Infantry Combat Badge" the C.I.B. (Combat Infantry Badge) was awarded to members of the Infantry, hence the name.  I have heard (NO documentation) that some men assigned to the Engineers were awarded a C.I.B., but I will remain skeptical unit I see for myself from a Primary Source.
       In your question you typed "I am looking for.......offer are most welcome."  Since you have determined your father was assigned to the 201st MP Company, you may wish to contact Carlisle Barracks, PA to see if they have the unit records for the 201st.  Also, if the unit typed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Document is different than the 201st MP Company, you may wish to obtain that unit's unit records from Carlisle Barracks, PA.  Even if the unit from Box #6 was NOT the unit your father served with prior to May 8, 1945, the unit records would indicate the unit your father was transferred FROM when assigned to the unit typed in Box #6.  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Mr. Horrell,
Thank you for your reply. I am recreating his records for my edification and that of my family. This is not for the government. I am looking to put together a broad timeline of his service. A "month/year" timeline is more than sufficient.
I am incorrect about the fire in the records center.  I acknowledge that it was indeed St. Louis, MO.
Regarding the 201st MP Company, I found this in one your replies to a person asking about the SHAEF MPs.
My fathers discharge documents are something of a mystery at this point. He belonged to the VFW and was receiving VA benefits. For this he needed some documentation that he served. I have contacted the VA and the VFW. Thus far not results to my inquiry.
I have written Carlisle Barracks, PA for information and still waiting for a reply.
Again, thank you for your time and kind assistance.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  As to your father's Discharge Documents, 6-10 copies were provided to your father when he was discharged from the US Army.  One set was to be provided to the Funeral Home that would handle your father's arrangements.  The Funeral Home would then provide a photocopy to the VA, so that the VA would help with the cost of the Funeral & interment.  Please contact the Funeral Home that handled your father's arrangements.
       When your father was discharged from the US Army, he was encouraged to register a copy of his Discharge Documents at the Court House of the County that he would reside in after discharge.  IF your father did so, you may visit the Court House of the County that your father resided in after he was discharged & obtain a photocopy of your father's Discharge Documents.  Discharge Documents are in the Public Domain, so ANYONE may obtain another person's Discharge Documents.  Please visit the Court House of the County that your father resided in after he was discharged from the US Army.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell