Military History/Troopship Crossing

QUESTION: I've been trying to find a troopship that crossed from New York to the ETO March 13 - 23, 1944.  Help.  I've looked years and have had no luck.  I appreciate the assistance.

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  For a fellow "Volunteer" it will be an extreme pleasure to help you.

Departure Date:   March 13, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Ile de France
Unit(s) Onboard:   HQ, Third Army (there were other units onboard, but HQ, Third Army was the largest unit on this voyage
Arrival Date:   March 21, 1944
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland
    7,709 Troops onboard

The difference between March 21 & March 23 is that March 21 was the date the RMS Ile de France dropped anchor in the Firth of Clyde.  March 23 was when the soldier in question first set foot upon the soil of Scotland.
       We may be neighbors, so if you have any further need for my assistance, you may contact me via First Class USPS.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Rd.
      Apt. E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215

QUESTION: Thank you so so much!  I can't believe I have an answer finally!

Was embarkation at Fort Hamilton by any chance?  Any pointers on finding more about the Ile de France as a troopship.  Also, I am trying to understand the embarkation and debarkation process at NY and Gourock. If you have any good sources to point me to... I'd ever so much appreciate it.  With kindest regards!

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Yes, Fort Hamilton was a part of the New York Port of Embarkation, so embarkations were in & around the fort.
       As to the debarkation & embarkation process at Gourock, Scotland, is was quite simple.  Virtually every Troop Ship that sailed into the Firth of Clyde could NOT dock at the Gourock Docks, the water was too shallow.  The Troop Ship dropped anchor in the Firth of Clyde, then had Lighters (ferries) sail to the Troop Ship, take onboard 200 or so Military Personnel, sail to the docks & have the Military Personnel climb onto the dock!  The RMS Queen Elizabeth & RMS Queen Mary often transported more than 14,000 Military Personnel per voyage!  You can imagine several Lighters working around the clock for days, until the Troop Ship was unloaded.
       As to the embarkation & deparkation at the New York P. of E., I suggest you visit your local Public Library & reference:        U.S. Army in World War II (Army Green Series, because the cover of each volume is green)
The three volumes you wish to reference are The Technical Services /// The Transportation Corps.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.