Military History/Troopship Crossings, WW 2

Mr. Horrell,

My father, 1st Lt. Hughlan W. Pope, U.S. Army #0-1639506, Signal Security Detachment D, 12th Army, sent letters while in England in 1944 from: 1st Lt. Hughlan W. Pope, 0-1639506. SSD Hq. ETOUSA, APO 887, c/o Postmaster, NY,NY. His service record indicates that he left the U.S. on May 12, 1944 and arrived in the European theater on May 25, 1944.  The only ship I could find online that came close to matching was the USS Gripsholm, which left New York on May 15 and arrived Liverpool on May 25.  I'm trying to confirm or deny that educated guess.  Other members of his outfit had arrived in Liverpool at different times and been transported to 59 Weymouth St. in London for training.

A good portion of my Dad's outfit left Southampton on August 9, 1944 aboard the Empire Javelin, arriving at Omaha Beach-Isigny the same day.  However, my Dad's itinerary says he arrived Omaha on August 19. My Dad's outfit, SSDD, had a sibling realtionship with 114th and 116th Radio Signal Intelligence Companies.  They stayed together in the field.  According to SSD records, 114th also arrived at Omaha on August 19.  So, I am thinking that my Dad arrived with them.  So, I'm looking for the name of a ship on August 19.  I saw reference to an online diary of the 114th by a J.C. von Werlhof.  But I was not able to find it.

FYI - In my Dad's personal records I saw where he transported from Marseilles to New York on the Westbrook Victory, arriving on October 30, 1945.      

Thanks for any help,

Charles Pope
Des Moines, Iowa

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  You typed "12th Army" but it should be 12th Army Group.  APO 887 was located at London, England, April 10, 1942-August 31, 1944.  Beginning September 1, 1944 APO 887 was located at Valonges, France, through September 15, 1944.  On September 16, 1944 APO 887 was located at Paris, France.
       As to your father's voyage overseas, Convoy CU.24 departed the New York P of E May 12, 1944, arriving at Liverpool, England, May 23, 1944.  There were 17 troop transport ships in Convoy CU.24, so an arrival date of the convoy on May 23 & your father actually stepping onto English soil on May 25, 1944 is reasonable.
       As to your father's voyage in August 1944, I have no idea.
       Lastly, your "FYI" is of great interest.  Would you be so kind as to provide me with the dates typed in Box #32 on page 2 of your father's Discharge Documents?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.