Military History/trying to understand my fathers separation papers

Question
Dear Mr. Horrell,

I recently found copies of my fathers Report of Separation papers.  I am hoping you can give me more information on where he served and what his unit did.  I know he left on the Queen Elizabeth but do not know the return ship.

Thank you and I appreciate any help you can give me.

Serial no: 6 137 873
Grade:  tec 4  FA  RAR
Organization:  Service Battery 725th fld artly
Date of separation:  Oct 21  1945
Place of separation:  Fort Devens MA
Place of entry:  Boston MA
Date of enlistment:  April 21 1939
Date of entry into active service:  Feb 14 1941
MOS:  rodman and chainman  surveying
Battles and Campaigns:  Naples Foggia Rome Arno So.France
         Rhineland  Central Europe
Decorations and Citations:  Good Conduct Medal,American Defense
         Service Medal, European African
         Middle Eastern Theater Campaign
         Ribbon with Bronze Service Arrowhead
Arrival and Departure dates: April 2 1943  ETO  April 13 1943
         Oct 4 1945  US  Oct 9 1945
Extra remarks:  issued lapel button  ASR score   Sept 2 1945 101

I have also been given a yearbook from the 649th Engineer Battalion.  There is one group photo of my father in a Survey Platoon, survey section H and S company.  How does this tie into the 725th Service Battery?

Thank you
Susan

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       As to the 725th Field Artillery Battalion, if that is typed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Document, that is the unit your father was assigned to AFTER May 8, 1945, for the purpose of your father returning to the USA.  My father had the same situation happen to him, as well as millions of other Veterans.
       Now then, you seem to believe that your father was assigned to the 649th Engineer Topographic Battalion (Army) while in combat prior to May 8, 1945.  I agree with you!  The dates the 649th went overseas is the same dates your father went overseas.

Departure Date:   April 2, 1943
Departure Location:   Hampton Roads, Virginia Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Monterey
Arrival Date:   April 13, 1943
Arrival Location:   Casablanca, Morocco

While I am at it, here are the FACTS as per your father's return to the USA.

Departure Date:   October 4, 1945
Departure Location:   Southampton, England
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Elizabeth
Arrival Date:   October 9, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation

In your question you typed "with Bronze Service Arrowhead".  That was for the Amphibious Assault upon the beaches of Southern France, August 15, 1944.  War Department General Order 70, issued in 1945.  An Amphibious Assault is THE most difficult maneuver an Army can make.
       Also, the 649th served in the Army of Occupation, Germany, May 2-October 30, 1945.  Clearly "dad" was quite decorated for his service, providing his invaluable expertise for the Allied War Effort.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell