Military History/WW 2 information

My deceased father Benton F. Parks  was in the infantry in WWII.  His discharge papers state that he left thE U.S. on 1-14-43 and arrived on 1-27-43 in North Africa. His serial number was 37120687. Organization is listed as GF 274 infantry. Under campaigns it says Tunisian,Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Rineland, Central Europe. He did not like to discuss the war like most veterans. He did state that his division lost more men than any other division and he also fought in every front in North Africa and Europe. He went into the service at fort Cook Neb. He lived in southwestern Iowa. From the research I have done I believe he might have been in the third infantry division.  However most servicemen from southwestern Iowa were in the 134th infantry division. He received a silver battle star theater ribbon good conduct and a Purple Heart for being shot in France. papers state Purple Heart medal 44 evac hospital 45  5. I am trying to fill in the blanks. Division ,company, battles ect. Thank you sir in advance for your help. Dan Parks

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "His discharge papers state that he.......arrived on 1-27-43 in North Africa."  Departing the Hampton Roads, Virginia Port of Embarkation on January 14, 1943, via the Straits of Gibraltar, the Troop Ships arrived at Oran, Algeria on January 27, 1943.
       In your question you typed "Organization is listed as GF 274 Infantry."  If this unit is listed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents, the 274th Infantry Regiment, 70th Infantry Division was the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to for his return to the USA.
       In your question you typed that your father stated "his division lost more men than any other division".  Does "lost" mean most soldiers KIA during WW 2, most casualties during WW 2?  Since we do not know your father's criteria, I will agree that it was the 3rd Infantry Division, a Regular Army Unit.
       In your question you typed "most servicemen from southwestern Iowa were in the 134th infantry division [sic]."  Respectfully, the US Military did not activate a "134th infantry division" during WW 2.  May you be thinking of the 134th Infantry Regiment, Nebraska National Guard?  Also, it is my understanding that the 133rd Infantry Regiment was an Iowa National Guard Unit.
       In your question you typed that your father "received a silver battle star".  That is correct, a Silver Campaign Star was worn by an individual who participated in 5 Campaigns.
       Have you any of your father's wartime correspondence?  We do not need the letters, but the envelopes.  Depending upon who sent the letter, your father's unit appears in either the address or the return address.  
       At this point I agree with you, your father was assigned [assigned] to the 3rd Infantry Division (Rock of the Marne) during WW 2.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.