Military History/WW 2 Medal

Chinses Medal
Chinses Medal  
My father served in Burma/China during WW2 in the 475th.  He was there from 2/45 till 7/46.  As part of his service he trained Chinese infantry soldiers.  He has said that his US army documents do not show he was part of the Chinese Training Command because the Nationalist paid him and others for this service.  He says Chiang Kai-Shek awarded a medal to selected men for this service.  I have done research and only found a Victory Medal (coin) that Chiang Kai-Shek gave, but not the medal my father has.  My concerns are the is not an award medal but something else.  I have attached a picture of the "medal".  Thanks for your help.

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My father the 475th."  I assume that you are referring to the 475th Infantry Regiment, a unit I am familiar with.  In your question you typed "He was there from 2/45 till 7/46."  Activated at Ledo, India, August 10, 1944, the unit was de-activated in China, July 1, 1945.
       From the description you typed of your father's role in the CBI, it reads to me as if your father was a part of the O.S.S. (Office of Strategic Service).  I also have some doubt that what you have is a Military Medal.  The location of the hole would make the "medal" difficult to suspend from a ribbon.  May I suggest you contact a M-A-J-O-R university in the southeast that has a Chinese Department or students from China.  Ask someone there to translate the characters upon the "medal".  That FACT may assist in further research.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.