Military History/CBI Soldier-Help

Dear Mr. Horrell

Where can I find a copy unit history of the 209th Engineer Combat Battalion?

I have been researching my Grandfathers WWII Army history
sadly have not been able to turn up much.

His Name was PFC James C Hiatt.

The information I have is.. 209th engineer combat Battalion
Co C Camp Beale CA. to New York Port of embarkation Sept.1943 to CBI.
Is there any way to find out where he began his Military service in 1942 basic training  up to where he was stationed after he was wounded in Burma June 1944.  All it tells me on discharge papers is that he was Honorable Discharge Nov.1945

Thank you

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good Manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "Where can I find a copy unit history of the 209th Engineer Combat Battalion?"  According to my sources, only Company B, 209th Engineer Combat Battalion published a unit history.  However, better than no unit history at all.

Company B, 209th Engineers, U.S. Army
   Diary dedicated to the men of Company B who laid down their lives so that we exist
  Smith, Irwin E. & Saul Robbins

A copy is at the U.S. Army Military History Institute Library, Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania,  Carlisle Barracks is NOT a lending library, so I see a road trip in your future.  Enjoy yourself, Carlisle Barracks is a fabulous library, with a staff that is A-1 in every sort of way.
       In your question you typed "The information I have is.. 209th engineer combat Battalion Co C Camp Beale CA.  to New York Port of embarkation Sept. 1943 to CBI."  May I ask, what is your source for what you just typed.
       The 209th Engineer Combat Battalion was activated at Camp Beale (Marysville) California on March 18, 1943 with assets from 2nd Battalion, 37th Engineer Combat Regiment.  As to the 209th Engineer Combat Battalion's voyage overseas:

Departure Date:   September 9, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Mariposa
Units onboard:   209th Engineer Combat Battalion
         1905th Engineer Aviation Battalion
Arrival Date:   October 12, 1943
Arrival Location:   Bombay, India
    via Rio de Janeiro, Brazil & the Cape of Good Hope

In your question you typed "All it tells me on his discharge papers is that he was Honorable Discharge Nov. 1945"  Do you have all four pages of your grandfather's Discharge Documents?  From what you have typed, it reads as though you may be just reading page one, which is certificate like in format.  Page two has 57 numbered boxes, & in each box is a FACT about your grandfather's service during WW 2.

Box #1     Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial
Box #3     Grade
Box #4     Arm or Service
Box #5     Component
Box #6     Organization

So on & so forth.  Page three & page four are also helpful, but it is page two that is invaluable toward ACCURATE historic research.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.