Military History/MIlitary Badges

I'm trying to identify the two badges which were on my father's uniform.  He served in WWII.  519 Port Battalion.  D-Day he was Utah Beach.  Later he served at the port of Antwerp.  The one photo has what I believe are the WWII Victory Medal and the Army Good Conduct Medal.  I don't know what the cross is.  The cross was on the chest.  The other pin was on the shoulder.

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  I am familiar with the 519th Port Battalion (T.C.).  You are correct as per identifying the two medals.
       The "cross" indicates an individual qualified as a "Marksman and Second-Class Gunner".  Please note the two loops at the bottom of the "cross".  Suspended from the loops are horizontal bars, each bar with a specific qualification.  These are just a few of the horizontal bars that could be attached: Rifle / Auto Rifle / Machine Gun / Bayonet / Grenade / Submachine Gun.  There are more, too numerous to list here.
       As to the "other pin", the Distinctive Insignia is for the 274th Infantry Regiment, assigned to the 70th Infantry Division during WW 2.  The heraldry of the D.I. is as follows: "Per bend argent and azure, in sinister chief a Lorraine cross of the second and in dexter base a badger sejant erect proper, holding in its forepaw an axe of the first."
       Quite an interesting array of insignia found upon your "father's uniform."
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.