Military History/MIlitary Badges

Question
Cross
Cross  

Beaver
Beaver  
I'm trying to identify the two badges which were on my father's uniform.  He served in WWII.  519 Port Battalion.  D-Day he was Utah Beach.  Later he served at the port of Antwerp.  The one photo has what I believe are the WWII Victory Medal and the Army Good Conduct Medal.  I don't know what the cross is.  The cross was on the chest.  The other pin was on the shoulder.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  I am familiar with the 519th Port Battalion (T.C.).  You are correct as per identifying the two medals.
       The "cross" indicates an individual qualified as a "Marksman and Second-Class Gunner".  Please note the two loops at the bottom of the "cross".  Suspended from the loops are horizontal bars, each bar with a specific qualification.  These are just a few of the horizontal bars that could be attached: Rifle / Auto Rifle / Machine Gun / Bayonet / Grenade / Submachine Gun.  There are more, too numerous to list here.
       As to the "other pin", the Distinctive Insignia is for the 274th Infantry Regiment, assigned to the 70th Infantry Division during WW 2.  The heraldry of the D.I. is as follows: "Per bend argent and azure, in sinister chief a Lorraine cross of the second and in dexter base a badger sejant erect proper, holding in its forepaw an axe of the first."
       Quite an interesting array of insignia found upon your "father's uniform."
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell