Military History/SS Marine Panther & USS Monticello AP-61

Question
QUESTION: My father was in the 386th inf. reg. assigned to the 97th inf. div. he departed for Europe on 2/19/1945 arrived in Le Havre on March 2, 1945 on the USS Monticello. He departed from Europe on June 16, 1945 and arrived in Boston, MA on June 25, 1945. He departed from US on Aug. 28, 1945 to the Philippines and arrived on Sept. 25, 1945. He left Japan on Dec. 6, 1945 and arrived in the US on Dec. 26, 1945. His S/N is 20106912. The 97th Inf. Div. is the only ETO div. that went to Japan, the 86th Inf. div. was the other, they went to the Philippines.

Any information on the him specifically, the ships he was on, ship logs etc.

ANSWER: Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed that your father was "assigned to the 97th inf. div. he departed for Europe on 2/19/1945 arrived in Le Havre on March 2, 1945 on the USS Monticello."  Yes, I agree, the USS Monticello  AP-61 did transport elements of the 97th Infantry Division to the ETO in February-March 1945.
       In your question you typed "He departed from Europe on June 16, 1945 and arrived in Boston, MA on June 25, 1945."  Elements of the 97th Infantry Division did depart Le Havre on June 16, 1945.  However, I do not know the name(s) of the troop ship(s) involved.
       In your question you typed "He departed from US on Aug, 28, 1945 to the Philippines and arrived on Sept. 25, 1945.

Departure Date:   August 28, 1945
Departure Location:   Seattle Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USS General John Pope  AP-110
Arrival Date:   September 16, 1945
Arrival Location:   Leyte, Philippine Islands
  elements of the 97th Infantry Division onboard

In your question you typed "He left Japan on Dec. 6, 1945 and arrived in the US on Dec. 26, 1945."  I am sure he did, but I do not know the name of the troop ship that brought him home.
       In your question you typed "His S/N is 20106912."  When a Serial Number begins with a "2" it generally means the soldier was a member of the National Guard.  What is typed in Box #5 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?
       In your question you typed "The 97th Inf. Div. is the only ETO div. that went to Japan".  Then why did your father, assigned to the 97th Infantry Division, arrive in "the Philippines"?
       In your question you typed "went to Japan, the 86th Inf. div. was the other, they went to the Philippines."  If the 86th Infantry Division was the other division that went to Japan, then why did you type that the division "went to the Philippines."  I am confused.
       In your question you typed "Any information on the him specifically"/  Sure, it would be my pleasure to research your father's role in WW 2.  To begin, I need a photocopy of the four page Discharge Documents provided to your father when he was discharged after WW 2.
       In your question you typed "the ships he was on"?  I have already covered that, but why did you include the SS Marine Panther in your subject?
       I will eagerly await a photocopy of all four pages of your father's Discharge Documents sent to me via First Class USPS.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.     E  26
       Nashville   TN   37215

QUESTION: The ship he was on from France to Boston was the Marine Panther.

Box 5: NG

The 97th processed through the Philippines then went to Japan, the 86th went to the Philippines and did not go to Japan.

Discharge will be mailed.

The Marine Panther was the ship he was on from France to Boston.

One more question, what was the ship he was on when he left Japan back to the US.

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Is it your father's recollection that he returned from the ETO to the USA in June 1945 onboard the SS Marine Panther?  That it may be your father's recollection is good, but I need the source, please.
       I find it QUITE interesting that your father was a member of the National Guard, yet ended up assigned to a Selective Service/Draftee Division.  Nothing good nor bad about it, just an interesting historic FACT.
       As I had typed in my original reply, I do not know the name of the troop ship that brought your father home in December 1945.
       I will eagerly await the photocopy of the four page Discharge Documents provided to your father when he was Honorably Discharged from the US Army.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell